Brembo

MartinM

I have been trying to find some new caliper brake seals for my Aprilia Brembo goldline calipers only to be told that none are available and you have to buy brand new calipers!!

So has anyone got any alternative sources for these parts? As I believe Aprilia list the replacement calipers at £440 each.

I wonder how popular Brembo fitment will be when it becomes widely known that any problem with caliper seals or pistons i.e. wear and tear items will mean the replacement of the whole caliper?

think brembo got sued after someone (probably american) fucked up servicing their own brakes with hilarious consequeces. therefore get them serviced by a brembo type person.

mitchV60; "Contrary to popular belief you can buy genuine brembo caliper seals although not from Aprilia.

After my silverstone trackday a few weeks ago I found my brakes to be almost seized even though I regular clean them so an overhaul was due.

A bit of research found that Brembo only sell replacement parts to KTM.This apparently is due to some sort of liability opt out that only they would sign.

The seal kit that I ordered was KTM part number 61013019100 which was from a SuperDuke.The Brembo part number on the packet is 98.5032.50.

This kit fits calipers with 34mm pistons so should fit caliper on the mille from 01 onwards.They do also do kits to fit the earlier 2 size pistoned calipers

The kit includes 2 seals for each piston and an assembly lubricant,the kit only does one caliper.

The 2 kits came to £30.59 so a hell of a lot cheaper than new calipers.

Job time should be 2-3 hour max.I found the easiest was to get the seals in and out was with an angled metal scribe.Result is a nice loose wheel with no brake drag."

+1

A chap known as mitchv60 put that post on apriliaforum.com recently (and another one I think) - I've just ordered a set of "KTM" front caliper seals for my RSV-R, about £15 per caliper from my local KTM dealer or slightly less if you shop around on the web.

I don't think you've said yet what bike you have and which calipers in particular, so you may want to double check what size pistons you have, but yeah KTM should be able to help you.

I'm pretty certain you can buy Brembo spares from companies that sell Brembo parts. I can't remember the name but I bought some Brembo parts off an Internet company and they listed spare pistons, etc.

Someone's havin' at a laugh at the dealer (or at Aprilia UK?)

Spares are available (definately! having serviced and sorted out my RS250), so have an ask around.

Bike Torque -> Bike Torque (UK) would be my first port of call.

PDQ's also a good place to ask -> PDQ (UK)

The few times that I struggled to get genuine Aprilia parts in the UK (normally due to supply issues at the factory end), I've bought parts from the U.S. -> AF-1 Racing (U.S.)

Some of the latest Tractor models have brembo calipers as standard. We've been told that we have to replace complete calipers as they don't list seals in the parts catalogue. Obviously they're not goldline radials though. :icon_blackeye:

Brembos should be cleaned with soapy water rather than brake cleaner ... the cleaner causes the seals to swell

Not disagreeing with you there as I've heard this elsewhere, but I'm curious to know exactly what Brembo make their seals from such that you can't use brake cleaner, when as far as I know it's perfectly OK* to use brake cleaner on Nissin, Tokico calipers et al. ;)

* May not be true but never seen anything to the contrary

I could understand it if brake cleaner contains organic compounds, which is the reason you shouldn't use organic grease on the pistons (use synthetic rubber grease instead).

Not disagreeing with you there as I've heard this elsewhere, but I'm curious to know exactly what Brembo make their seals from such that you can't use brake cleaner, when as far as I know it's perfectly OK* to use brake cleaner on Nissin, Tokico calipers et al. :eusa_think:

* May not be true but never seen anything to the contrary

I could understand it if brake cleaner contains organic compounds, which is the reason you shouldn't use organic grease on the pistons (use synthetic rubber grease instead).

No idea ... I'm just perpetuating the rumour

The few times that I struggled to get genuine Aprilia parts in the UK (normally due to supply issues at the factory end), I've bought parts from the U.S. -> AF-1 Racing (U.S.)

I can highly recommend Af1: I have got most of my parts through them.

Archived