Faaaark..

Hendo

My bike seems to have lost all its 'go'. Somethings missing... :eusa_think:

SDC11369.jpg

Oh, there it is! :icon_blackeye:

SDC11366.jpg

SDC11367.jpg

SDC11371.jpg

Initial thoughts after a 100mile around trip to my 'local' KTM dealer is the main crank bearings have gone. Noisy, noisy. The magnetic sump-plug and gauze are confirming it I think;

SDC11336.jpg

Swarf wiped off;

SDC11340.jpg

Fuck. Its only done 11,500miles, and Im religious about maintenance, warming it up properly etc. I wonder if its related to the recent service I gave it? There was no drop in performance.

Im not working at the moment either, its gonna get expensive :(

Any ideas? Oil starvation? Extended wheelies? 'Just one of those things?'

Andy

Fuck. Its only done 11,500miles, and Im religious about maintenance, warming it up properly etc. I wonder if its related to the recent service I gave it? There was no drop in performance.

Im not working at the moment either, its gonna get expensive :eusa_whistle:

Any ideas? Oil starvation? Extended wheelies? 'Just one of those things?'

Andy

To quote my local KTM Dealer when purchasing an oil filter fot my old LC4

" make sure you bleed the oil system after changing the oil, other wise you'll have bearing faliure with in 50 miles"

When you run the bike up after an oil change, disconnect the oil pipe on the lh case just bellow th barrel, wait for oil to flow from it and reconnect, simples.

Hmm, I did bleed the system up after I changed the oil but I didnt bleed it from there, I was told to bleed it another way? Loosen the frame filler bolt (highest point in the oil system), start bike up and once oil seeps from therem its bled. Apparently.

It has done around 500miles since I changed the oil :icon_salut:

Andy

Well, assuming it is the mains that have gone, it might have nothing to do with oil starvation at all. I'd check the piston and barrel as well.

When you've got the cases split check that your crank hasn't splayed and is laterally loading the mains.

11.5k miles is about 350 hours runing time? That's not unheard of for an LC4 engine through normal wear and tear. Some have lasted a lot more miles/hours but others have gone earlier.

Its on 421.5hrs. It just seems luck of the draw with these engines??

Im not splitting the engine, the KTM dealer is doing it. Ive only ever stripped 2strokes, there is no way Im attempting a 4stroke, Id probably miss something very important. I just took the engine out to keep costs down.

I also know the manager of a bearings company that is getting me all the bearings I need for free :P

Just trying to keep costs down as much as possible. Will post up any reports once I hear from them.

Andy

Hmm good luck with the costs- my 620sx blew up on the A3... I stripped it down myself and the little metal spacers between the rod and the crank webs had picked up. Not 100% sure why.

This was a few years ago, but engine parts prices were proper scary- it would have needed a new crank and rod at the least, and it had scored the barrel so possibly a new head and piston. I seem to remember it was north of £750 just for parts.... in the end I put all the bits on an old tablecloth in the garden and stuck it on Ebay. Was amazed to get more for it in bits that I'd paid for it, and the buyer was well chuffed!

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update.

My KTM dealer rang me up this week, with good and bad news. Turns out the main bearings had 'picked up' and the camshaft bearings were showing signs of it starting to happen. But he said I had caught it in good time and there is no major damage.

But to be sure Ive asked him just to go through everything, split the crank etc etc to make sure all is well as I plan on keeping the bike. Will probably stick a new piston in it too whilst its in bits. Id rather it was done once and done right.

He said Im looking at approx £750 (worst case scenario), and more if I decide to put a piston in :tacheemoticonwh7::blush::eusa_think:

But at least I know it will be right (touches wood).

At the same time I have hopefully got hold of a 660 cam to go in it, which is more aggressive, so I will have that thrown in aswell during the rebuild.

Will post anymore updates as I get them.

Just a quick note, can anyone actually tell me what happens when a bearing 'picks up'?

Cheers

Andy

for the 660 cam, will you not then need the 660 carb and whatever else goes with it too, for it to work properly? not much point having more agresive cam profile without the right mix to go with it?

for the 660 cam, will you not then need the 660 carb and whatever else goes with it too, for it to work properly? not much point having more agresive cam profile without the right mix to go with it?

It already has the same FCR carb as the 660. The 625 engine is almost exactly the same as the 660 except the 35cc difference, cam and electrics (no key, battery etc on the 660). The cam will just change the way the power is delivered, more top end.

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

Update for anyone who is interested.

Called in yesterday to see how my engine is coming on. He showed me the bearings, they were well and truely fucked. Slight scoring on the piston aswell but the barrel is still in good nick.

It has had a brand new conrod kit, bearings, shells, cam bearings so far, and Ive told them to put a new piston in aswell. I couldnt believe the size of the piston, 101mm. Its a fucking monster bit of metal lol.

Everything else is still in very good condition the mechanic said.

Hoping to have it back in the next 2 weeks, cannot finish re-building it until my new cam turns up.

I hate being bikeless!

Andy

Update for anyone who is interested.

Called in yesterday to see how my engine is coming on. He showed me the bearings, they were well and truely fucked. Slight scoring on the piston aswell but the barrel is still in good nick.

It has had a brand new conrod kit, bearings, shells, cam bearings so far, and Ive told them to put a new piston in aswell. I couldnt believe the size of the piston, 101mm. Its a fucking monster bit of metal lol.

Everything else is still in very good condition the mechanic said.

Hoping to have it back in the next 2 weeks, cannot finish re-building it until my new cam turns up.

I hate being bikeless!

Andy

If you smoke .............make a ashtry out of the piston............... :D

• 1 month later...

£940.57 later, the engine is now back in my hands :eusa_dance::dribble:

Shall be fitting it tommorrow hopefully! Woop woop!

List-

Piston

Higher lift cam

Con rod kit

Gaskets+seals

And practically every single bearing in the engine.

Hopefully it'll be a runner....

Andy

SDC11553.jpg

The Dalek/Howitzer/Leaf Blower lives!

A flat battery stopped play at first, but then away she went. Sounds soooo much better than before, quieter, less rattley and much tighter. Seems to be much more compression aswell, if I try and start it on the compression stroke, the starter wont do it, gotta use the de-comp lever to help it along.

Very happy chappy.

Just oil catch tank bottle to sort now, and a leaky carb float bowl.

Andy

Archived