XJ600S NON STARTER

tunny888

Hi all

A bit of history my second bike a 1992 XJ600S Diversion sat in garage for a couple of months,tried to start it loud click on right hand side,no go.much head scratching replaced faulty starter solenoid.new one ok according to haynes test method.Still no joy next option is replace either relay assy on left hand side of bike,or ignitor unit assy on right hand side of bike.

My question is can anybody suggest other options or tests to isolate problem.

Thanks in Advance

Tunny

Is your battery OK? Sounds like it may be flat.

Battery fully charged every other electrical item works .

Starter turns used jump lead to connect direct to battery both on and off bike engine turns over no problems but wont work off button or bumping

Battery fully charged every other electrical item works .

Starter turns used jump lead to connect direct to battery both on and off bike engine turns over no problems but wont work off button or bumping

First things first, are the battery leads properly on the terminals, with a good earth?

Guess it's just a case of eliminating bits of the ignition connection then. Start by shorting out the switched connections on the relay (i.e the starter motor circuit). If that doesn't work then you've got a problem in the electrical loop to the starter. If that works, try shorting across the starter button or the switch connections on the relay (i.e. the starter switch circuit). If neither work, I'd still suspect an earthing problem somewhere, or another duff relay.

thanks flymo you've given me something to think about

shorted out most of connections already:- clutch sidestand but not neutral so will do research on wiring diagram and check in morning.

Cheers pal ;)

Snow problem! Actually thinking about it if you get a click off the starter button it's unlikely to be the starter switch/clutch/sidestand circuit as it sounds like it's doing it's job- activating the relay. Still worth checking though, stranger electrickery things have happened.....

Hi all thanks for all your help still no joy.

Tested all connections and connectivity from starter button to relay assembly

tested same for neutral switch sidestand oil pressure and clutch switch.

so the only thing left is to replace relay assembly then ignitor unit and see what happens

New pads and HEL lines have arrived for ninja so will be busy with that

but will let you know when divvy is fixed once again thanks for all help

Cheers chaps :lol:

Snow problem! Actually thinking about it if you get a click off the starter button it's unlikely to be the starter switch/clutch/sidestand circuit as it sounds like it's doing it's job- activating the relay. Still worth checking though, stranger electrickery things have happened.....

Forget checking the various different cut-out circuits, simply take a look at the switching side of your starter relay: if you go from 0 to 12v there when you press the button, the switching side of the circuit is OK, and you're simply looking at a duff relay. If there's no change when you press the button, then you've got a problem on the switching side, and you should be looking at cut-out sensors etc

Archived