CBR900RRS - project as and when

Bike is a 95 blade.

1) Can the fuel pump be ditched. I think I have read somewhere about people removing the fuel pumps - there appears to be enough room for gravity feed. Anyone tried this before?

2) What temperature can regulator rectifiers withstand? Mine is moiunted on a plate at the back of the engine, wondering how hot is too hot? (I have access to an infra red measuring stick)

3) Does anyone have one front disk! One of mine is bent double, like completely concaved, never seen this before.

4) What do you suppose would happen if I chop the barce off the swing arm? Its there for show innit... - I'm curious about the is frame flex mallarkey. Can it be felt? Is it big or small?

5) Anyone want to buy some spangly bits of shininess? I have slab yokes and cnc handlebars for sale.

6) The shock - Someone here with a yellow/puprple example has fitted a later rear shock. Which one and how difficult is it?

7) Remobval of the water pump. Suspensionsmith did this? How, and is it a track mod or will it withstand road miles in winter too?

8) Anyone got a can strap for a Micron oval, circumference 350mm. Or failing that a scruffy (cheeep cheep) stock can?

9) How has 110 ish bhp managed to feel so asthmatic?

I'm not too familiar with the Blade but will try and help:

1) Can the fuel pump be ditched. I think I have read somewhere about people removing the fuel pumps - there appears to be enough room for gravity feed. Anyone tried this before?

I've read of Bros fuel pumps being replaced with vacuum pumps instead of electric? Often the pumps are there to get the very last bit out of the tank - you might be ok to go without as long as you don't drop the fuel level right down?

2) What temperature can regulator rectifiers withstand? Mine is moiunted on a plate at the back of the engine, wondering how hot is too hot? (I have access to an infra red measuring stick)

They are pretty insensitive to this from my exp[erience, but relocating to running cooler can do no harm

3) Does anyone have one front disk! One of mine is bent double, like completely concaved, never seen this before.

As well as replacing the disc I would look carefully at the cause - likely siezed pistons causing an overheat - you could end up doing to new one too... :eusa_pray:

4) What do you suppose would happen if I chop the barce off the swing arm? Its there for show innit... - I'm curious about the is frame flex mallarkey. Can it be felt? Is it big or small?

Why would you want to remove the brace? Don't understand.

You'll need to be more speciific here - is it hesitant under load? Does it miss? Or is it just a bit flat - 99 timers out of 100 its just a bike needs a good once over - plugs/carb clean/air filter. If this doesn't do it then you need to do a leak-down test to see if you've got a good seal on the rings.

Hope this helps somewhat!

Rich

6) The shock - Someone here with a yellow/puprple example has fitted a later rear shock. Which one and how difficult is it?

2) Dont know the answer to that but I use a reg/rec from an R1, (common mod) I have it bolted to the top of the frame near the shock mount. The standard one doesnt have any cooling fins so maybe it will get too hot there, the R1 unit is twice the size though.

6) thats me. My shock is from a 954 Blade. Straight swap, but, you cant keep the battery in the same place. I moved mine to the space behind the engine, but I worry about it getting to hot, so I have moved in to in the tail now. Which is from a 929 but would fit better in a standard unit.

DSC_0058.jpg

Hmmm, I know what you mean. My nicely serviced RR-V makes high teens yet feels totally gutless. I think it's just cos the delivery is so smooth.

Good luck with the project. I've got a VGC Scorpion polished ally round-section race can with strap, if you want to make me an offer for them.

I'm not too familiar with the Blade but will try and help:

1) Can the fuel pump be ditched.

vacuum pumps instead of electric?

The idea is to get rid of extraneous shit. I think I will switch the bike on and see how much fuel it flows in 1 minute, then gravity feed it and compare. Just don't want it to melt after the tap turns into the main jet.

2) What temperature can regulator rectifiers withstand?

Going to put a pipe in to duct cold air. RR is mounted on big bit of 6mm ally plate, so should be a decentr heat sink.... b ut curious to know what is an acceptable running temp.

As well as replacing the disc I would look carefully at the cause - likely siezed pistons causing an overheat - you could end up doing to new one too... ;)

AGreed. Not ridden bike before, bought it disassembled (totally) just got it back together. 1 disk is bent, I think they pair I have are from different pairs previously. Shouldn't do it again haver spent real live money on new set of caliper seals!

Why would you want to remove the brace? Don't understand.

Curious, thats all. Want to see /feel how much the arm flexes. If its ok, then chopping it off saves 1/2 kilo. The main aim of phase 2 is to lighten it significantly.

You'll need to be more speciific here - well its cos a 95 blade, isn't as good as an 05 R1. Odd huh :icon_salut: Eeeee I remember when a 1974 TX500 air cooled Yam were reet fast, really. I could accelerate up hills.

Hope this helps somewhat!

Rich

6) thats me. My shock is from a 954 Blade. Straight swap, but, you cant keep the battery in the same place. I moved mine to the space behind the engine, but I worry about it getting to hot, so I have moved in to in the tail now. Which is from a 929 but would fit better in a standard unit.

Cheers lad. Batt, reg rec, starters olenoid and indicator relay all moved elsewhere. The only thing attached to the subframe at tyhe moment is the seat, remote res and the reg plate.

Will peruse Evilbay for a shock. It has to be better than the rust ridden heap I have now

Is it actually making 110, or is this what you figue it should be making?

If you haven't already, I'd get it on a dyno just to check what power it makes and to see if there are any setup issues. 110 is pretty good power for a 95 blade with stock jets. My RR-T makes early 120s after dynojetting, K&N filter and Art race can. But even then it still felt a little sluggish until I dropped a tooth on the front sprocket. Definitely recommend dropping a tooth on the front or adding a couple on the rear if you haven't already..

Archived