Suzuki DR400

connor

I'll open it out the the knowledgeable PB massive, It's an old bike, 1982 so older that some people on here I guess, now being an old bike it has drum brakes front and rear, the front is shockingly bad at times, yes it does stop you but it don't instill confidence.

What are my options for a front disk conversion better still front and rear, the forks are 36mm going into the clamps so its either find some forks from a disk bike that will fit or change the forks and clamps, then the wheels and all the ancillaries, ideally it would be a front end off something but what.

Question is what will fit, would the newer DRZ400 parts fit without much trouble? Or am I better looking at other bikes?

Help!!!

Measure the height of the headstock and then compare it to potential donor bikes. So long as it's the same size or perhaps slightly shorter then 9 out of 10 times all you'll need to do is swap bearings. this also assumes that the fork lengths are at least in the same ball park. Your next thing would be to make sure that you've got a decent amount of sag in comparison to the original bike, so the bike sits at the right height, which could involve spring swaps etc.

I know that with many suzukis they use the same size head bearings, so you might just get lucky there, but there's a chance that that little rule only applies to road bikes?

Ive seen an SP400 with the front hub off a GT750J laced in with a twin leading shoe setup. I know its never going to perform the same as a modern disc setup but if itll stop a kettle then it should be pretty good on a DR. Just a though. The amount of hassle will probably be similar though because you will probably need different wheel bearings and spacers and Im not sure how the brake plate is fixed on the GT wheel.

There's a set of CRF forks and yokes on the pinboard: get your tape measure out.

Archived