rattly pads

kwakap

Hi guys i need help,

I have a zx6r G1 and it knocks and rattles from the pads, i have stripped the calipers, cleaned the pistons, rebuilt them and put in new pads, but i think in a previous life a former keeper let them seize slightly and this has worn the calipers where the pads slot in, is this common and does anyone know if there is an economial way to fix this????

should i change to different calipers maybe 4 pots as i have heard there can be problems with the tokico 6 pots?

any help gratefully received

:pb2:

ahhh cheers for that, coming at it from a much less pessimistic viewpoint than i had, the anti rattle? shims, just been to have a look and a play about, they may just be old and tired allowing the pads toom much free play, thanks feel happier now, will get out on it and check out the noise

:tumbleweed:

if they are working ok its nowt to worry about , at least you know the pads can move when they need to , you can put a bit more tension on the spring if you want to

yeah thats exactly what i just came in from doing, "adjusted" the retainers if it works cool, if not maybe pick up some new ones and see what happens. The clonking was getting on my tits a bit i like the smooth stealthy stop not a rattly arrival.

:tumbleweed:

Yes it is common above 30,000 miles i reckon.Look down the caliper where the edges of the pads should have a nice snug fit to the caliper-it often wears and eventually creates a 'step'only thing you can do is replace the caliper i'm afraid.I tend to copaslip the edges of the pads backing material to prevent it seizing-happens alll the time on Kwaka's

I'm afraid they all do that, sir. The fitted Tokicos are a bit cheap and nasty and the single retaining pin design lets the pads rock back and forth wearing the slot they sit in.

well, i will have to have a look tomorrow, see what happens, and yeah 36000 miles (uses a bit of oil too) so the calipers are probably tired.... shame, still i understand 4 pot nissins from a gsxr 1988 1989 fit? so if i can get a decent pair of them and a master cylinder maybe that would be the way to go? :icon_puke_r:

I did the nissin swap on mine, brakes well, pleased with it etc, but you'll probably need a 14 to 16mm master cylinder as the 19mm one off the 6 pots will make them a bit on/off and it'll be difficult to feather the brakes as you head for your favourite apex.

I think the master cylinder is 5/8" on the ZX6, so it's 16mm-ish

I had 4 pots fitted on my ZX9, and the feel was pretty good, not wooden but nice and firm and progressive.

Nissins off 1988 - to mid 90's gixxers will fit - just check that the mounts are 90mm apart and you'll be reet.

Big thanks guys, Lorenzo came good and pm'd me some stuff he had seen on the bay, i checked a couple out and found one of the sellers was a breaker from just up the road on an industrial estate in the middle of nowhere!!!!

i popped in and he had a couple of good pairs of calipers, ended up buying the best ones, just cleaned them up and given them a coat of heat proof paint, they are slowly curing in the airing cupboard (shh keeep it quiet). so all good.

big big thanks guys for all your help

:eusa_think:

Archived