Spraying track fairings

j-maul

Hello people, could anyone give me a little advise on spraying track fairings. I'v never done this before, but i think it goes, rub down with a fine wet and dry, prime, then spray whatever colour you want. Is there anything else i should know

I'm mostly wondering why you'd prime it - It'll only ad weight. There's a reason you can see the CF weave through the paint on Ferrari F40s..

Cheers,

/Steff - Also about to go spraying...

Yes.

Are they new fairings? If so that makes it easier. Get a decent filler plasticing primer which is ok on flexible surfaces.

Spend more time than you think you need to with the sanding, use lots of water and change the paper regularly.

Rinse very very well. Dry and degrease with a solvent (acetone fer example) leave to dry again.

Prime with even light strokes (fnnaarr) get a good coverage.

leave to set/dry properly.

Give a light going over with very fine wet/dry again with loads of water. Dry.

Away you go with your colour. I tend to give it a very light coat, leave it to cure for a bit and then go for it with the proper first coat.

Much better to do several thin coats than one thick one. Leave enough time between coats for proper curing, and flat back.

If you're doing the tank then laquer it 'cos otherwise first time you spill petrol on it it'll bubble/melt. (guess me how I know) for the fairings not really neccessary to laquer it.

I'm mostly wondering why you'd prime it - It'll only ad weight. There's a reason you can see the CF weave through the paint on Ferrari F40s..

Cheers,

/Steff - Also about to go spraying...

Depends if you want your paint to fall off or not.

I'm sure ferrari painters can achieve miracles with nice expensive 2 pack paint, but if your doing it out of rattle cans I'd advise a plasticising primer.

Thanks mate. Your becoming very useful on here, i'm gona get those lines off ya at the end of the week once i work out my funds

S'cool.

I've got a step by step photo guide if you want it, it's in french but the pics are multi lingual!

And whenever's good with you for the lines.

Get yourself a tube of stop-putty as well. You'll find a bunch of little imperfections in the bodywork once you've primered it. Just wipe some stop putty over them with a business card and rub it back in your final sand.

Archived