Pressing out steerer?

Nosforatu

Hi all have a set of zxr 400 forks that I'm intending to fit to my FZ750 have had a trial fit.

http://i922.photobucket.com/albums/ad68/No.../forksfront.jpg

And all seems doable apart from the steerer?stem hwat ever you call it. Is roughly 20mm to short i can fit the top yoke and top nut but there is no room for the lock nuts.

Also the top bearing: 1) i can use the Fz750 which fits the top part of the steerer but this will need turnning down length wise to allow the bearing to sit further down.

2) I use the ZXR top bearing then the steerer nee lenghtening to allow it to fit the wider diameter part.

So do I cut the steerer and weld in a shaped spacer ie. fits inside the original at both ends, then weld around. OR probably best turn a whole new steerer.

Either way I would really need to press out the stem.

How is this done press it up from the bottom? or press the long part down from the top?

Any help greatfully recieved. Nos

I have access to a hydrolic press at work so it really is just put it up and press it out, does it matter which way you press it?

Hi

stem needs to be pushed out from the top, there is a lip on the bottom that stops the stem from pulling through. You need to get it pressed out on a hydraulic press or a flypress.

If it were me, I would turn a new stem to the dimensions required and refit.

If you get stuck, I can press it out and turn you a new stem and re fit it (but you'll have to give me the dimensions of what you require)

Good luck

Paul

I have access to a hydrolic press at work so it really is just put it up and press it out, does it matter which way you press it?

Down through the yoke mate e.g down when fitted onto bike

I recently pressed out a zxr400 stem to fit a KR1S one and it was SERIOUSLY tight, hydraulic press wouldn't shift it had to use a 10 tonne fabrication press instead.

Heat the yoke as you begin pressing it out,whilst trying to keep the flame away from the stem,the idea being to heat and expand the yoke first and lessen the tightness of the fit.

I stuck the bottom yoke in the oven to warm it up for 20 minutes (the missus was well pleased :pbtwerplr3: ), then sprayed a can of pipe freezer down the steering stem. The stem practically dropped out with a couple of whacks of a hammer after that.

Hey now thats using your head,well done.

Just in case anyone ever tries to press a stem out and it positively will not come out then check that they can be removed. Old suzukis (GS1000S) have a groove in the stem and in the yoke and a big circlip is put into the stem then the stem is pressed in so that when the two groves line up the circlip springs into both and stops it coming out. If you try to press the stem out then it will take some ridiculous amount of pressure then the yoke disintegrates.

I like that, nicely :eusa_think:

Related question; do you need to use a press to fit the new stem or can that be hammered in too?

Press, start hammering it in pissed and you'll fuck it.

Put the new stem in the freezer over night, will make it lots easier. Same theory works with bearings.

Stem in freezer overnight, yoke in oven at full blast some 20 minutes before assembly would be my guess ;-)

Cheers,

/Steff

Archived