Exup cables

DAMO666

just replaced the exup cables on my 89 Fzr1000, the valve had seized and the cables had snapped. Managed to free off and lube the valve but when i fitted the cables and adjusted as per the manual i ran the bike in neutral at different revs and the valve never opened. Does it only move when in gear, is the ecu that clever? or have i got a fault with the servo motor? I can turn the ignition off and turn the valve fully open and it resets itself when the ignition is turned back on.

The exup should open and close when the ignition is turned on. The cables frayed on my 400 just where it comes out of the sheath this jammed the cable.

So

Detach the cables (it was easier if you undo the servo) from the exup pulley and flick the ignition - if the cables don't move detach them from the servo, then see if the servo works.

To set the exup ... remove the cover

the pulley should have two tongues, and the housing has a small hole. The tongues face forward (on the 400) slacken off the adjusters on the cables (as necessary) and you put a pin or small dia bolt between the tongues and into the hole. Now adjust the cables to take any slack .... they only go finger tight remove the bolt / pin and the valve should cycle open /closed.

If you need cables try Fowlers in Bristol

the valve should work in neutral. As it works when you switch the ignition back on after moving the servo manually i don't know why it doesn't. Are you revving it high enough?

It should move when you rev it to 3-5K rpm, at least my 91 Exup did.

Disconnect the cables at the servo and pull them to make sure the vane really is moving freely. Mine gave me all sorts of trouble until I realised the vane was actually bent very slightly and was binding when the cover was bolted on.

Just had a look at another 1000 exup and the valve doesn't go through a full cycle when the ignition is turned on. He revved it past 6000 and hit the kill switch, when he put the kill switch back to the run position you could hear the valve resetting itself. Going to try that on mine now.

Hi

just went through all this on my thunderace, (shudder), despite what all the forums say about the valve testing itself when turned on it doesn't its complete bollocks, the noise you can here on ignition is the fuel pump priming.

The exup valve motor knows if it's in the right place so will only reset if it's in the wrong place, you can test this by removing the cables and moving the valve motor a small amount by hand, soon as you turn the ignition it will reset to the correct position, it will start to move once you rev it , if it doesn;t it's buggered

cheers

Mine moves on my R1 when revved but don't go expecting it to move shed loads unless you're revving the nuts of it. There is some movement revving it up to 6k.

Lubricating the cables has stopped mine from any fraying etc for the past few years.

Archived