R1 Swingarm

rndnick

Has anyone got any experience/pictures of an 04 (underseat exhaust) R1 swingarm being fitted to the earlier R1? (4xv & 5JJ).

Would the standard shock/rear suspension/wheel/exhaust fit to this? I know the back brake would have to be changed as it mounts on top instead of underneath but not sure about the rest.

Any help/advice appreciated.

Has anyone got any experience/pictures of an 04 (underseat exhaust) R1 swingarm being fitted to the earlier R1? (4xv & 5JJ).

Would the standard shock/rear suspension/wheel/exhaust fit to this? I know the back brake would have to be changed as it mounts on top instead of underneath but not sure about the rest.

Any help/advice appreciated.

Not directly.

IIRC there are a couple of issues...

1. the 04 underseat exhaust model swingarm is longer than the earlier models, so by putting one on a 4xv/5jj model you will lengthen the wheelbase. This will affect handling and you may also need a longer chain

2. I vaguely recall seeing someone trying to do this on a R1 forum a few years ago. I think there were issues with fitting the swingarm pivot into the earlier frame, plus issues with the rear shock linkage too.

HTH

Isn't it the earlier, black framed injection, swinging arm that fits the 4XV. If I remember right you can get a special washer from ProBolt to suit this swap.

Isn't it the earlier, black framed injection, swinging arm that fits the 4XV. If I remember right you can get a special washer from ProBolt to suit this swap.

5pw fits strait in god knows where that washer is meant to go i have heard some people need it but i did not. Foo tried fitting the modern swinger to a 5jj or 4xv and said it could be done but not easy and it weighed more so would not bother speak to him if your really serious. I am fitting a rsv swinger to an r1 at the mo :)

I am fitting a rsv swinger to an r1 at the mo

Sounds kinda interesting. I do like the polished swinger off of the RSV's. I dont have the technical ability to get into anything big (I use my R1 every day so can't take too long with any mods), like fitting an RSV swinger but would be interested too see what it fits/looks/works like.

Sounds kinda interesting. I do like the polished swinger off of the RSV's. I dont have the technical ability to get into anything big (I use my R1 every day so can't take too long with any mods), like fitting an RSV swinger but would be interested too see what it fits/looks/works like.

I dont have the ability to do it either so got someone else to! Will post pics when done.

Archived