Touring on an R1- Suspension settings?...

CHR1

hi Folks,

Off to to Italy for a house swap on the R1 and looking for suspension setup advice. I'll be carrying a load of camping gear and stuff and not sure where to go with settings. At the moment the bikes set up well (pretty firm) for fast street riding on good roads. Just looking for tips on what to change given the extra weight. I've never bothered messing with settings for pillions (the mrs gave up ages ago and they generaly f*** with the handling!) so don't no if it's just a case of jacking the preload up a bit or something...Looking for tight handling for the alpine twisties, not fussed about a comfy ride- just want to adjust for extra gear I'll be carrying. Thanks in advance- nice one! :o

Chris

Unless your taking ewan and charlie levels of stuff, I'd leave well alone.

If the back end feels squishy and you can't get used to it, then wind-on some preload but like I say, 5 - 10kg's of luggage isn't going to alter much to your handling. Hope its of some help, have a good trip

Pete

Unless your taking ewan and charlie levels of stuff, I'd leave well alone.

If the back end feels squishy and you can't get used to it, then wind-on some preload but like I say, 5 - 10kg's of luggage isn't going to alter much to your handling. Hope its of some help, have a good trip

Pete

Cheers Pete. So no additional compression or rebound damping needed- I'll add a click or two to the preload and see how it feels. Now I've just got to figure out how I'm going to carry all me gear! :confused: Thanks again.

Chris

When I went through the Alps I gave up trying to be "fast" through the bends.

You don't really know how tight they are or if there's a car / van / lorry on the other side. The roads aren't quite as wide and lastly ... hell your on a holiday.

Take it easy and admire the view.

If it's raining - take the tunnel - seriously

When I went through the Alps I gave up trying to be "fast" through the bends.

You don't really know how tight they are or if there's a car / van / lorry on the other side. The roads aren't quite as wide and lastly ... hell your on a holiday.

Take it easy and admire the view.

If it's raining - take the tunnel - seriously

Absolutely if the roads narrow I'll be enjoying the views not scratching. Been planning my route using AlpineRoads.com. Great site- they grade roads including info on quality of bends, surface, traffic, etc. I'll be alternating between cruising and enjoying the views but where the roads are clear and dry with no traffic and the bends hard to resist I'll enjoy a little hoonery! :icon_blackeye:

Archived