Sleeving down exhausts

heds954

Ullo, 'nother question

Does anyone know of any firms that sell sleeves to allow you to stick a larger diameter exhaust on than your present link pipe allows?

I've an Akra stubby that presently needs attaching to a Micron link pipe using springs and I don't think the cut up Ginger Beer can that's presently twixt can and link pipe seals as well as it might :shock:

Ta

Heds

what be the sizes?

akraexhaustsleeve.jpg

So, looking at an internal of 51mm and an external of 52mm with possibly a small external lip at one end so it can't worm its way into the can :shock:

Speak to Andy at Junction-33 dyno centre. He made me some baffles once (or rather he knows someone who made them)...they were swaged pieces of tube that had two different diameters.

Failing that, try Fuel exhausts in Kendal, MTC exhausts in Burscough (Martin Leigh is a top bloke there) or even Quill in Wigan.

Hmm, Andy you say, he used to be MrQuill at one time didn't he... :huh:

edit:Imageshat playing up

Ullo, 'nother question

Does anyone know of any firms that sell sleeves to allow you to stick a larger diameter exhaust on than your present link pipe allows?

I've an Akra stubby that presently needs attaching to a Micron link pipe using springs and I don't think the cut up Ginger Beer can that's presently twixt can and link pipe seals as well as it might :bdaysmile:

Ta

Heds

appropriate. :thumbsup:

Have a look on ebay. there are people that sell reducers. You may have to buy a couple of bits of pipe to weld to it. Depends how much space youve got to play with.

How 'oop north' are you? I know a man near teeside airport who will do it while you wait :thumbsup:

Have a look on ebay. there are people that sell reducers. You may have to buy a couple of bits of pipe to weld to it. Depends how much space youve got to play with.
It does, and in answer 'not a lot'.

How 'oop north' are you? I know a man near teeside airport who will do it while you wait :eusa_wall:
Teeside, hmm, not as far North as that and on the wrong side of the country, I'm North Lancs based.

Looking at that drawing,...internal 51mm, external 52mm?

"So, looking at an internal of 51mm and an external of 52mm with possibly a small external lip at one end so it can't worm its way into the can" I guess that'll be the bit that gives that away! :P

Looking at that drawing,...internal 51mm, external 52mm?

All you need is a piece of .5mm wall tubing.....dunno if such a thing is available?

This place does a 50.8mm internal diameter stainless tube (so I assume it is a fairly common stock size?). Wall thickness is 1.2mm, which would give you an external diameter of 53.2mm. Would the akra inlet not open up another 1mm??? :thumbsup:

Yarp, I wondered about finding a ready made piece of tube, but couldn't find anything suitable.

As for stretching the can inlet, nope, it's made from Titanium, I could stretch the link pipe, but that would mean it limits my choice of cans in the future...

2" strip of .45mm shim copper wound round the link pipe. Leave 5mm protruding over the edge and tap it over with a ball-pein hammer inside the link pipe so it cant slip down. Exhaust clamp around the can opening (slit the can inlet if needs be). Job jobbed.

Yarp...

I have a pattern to follow...

EXCRDC04.jpg

but which copper sheet to choose? :icon_blackeye:

Half Hard OR normal, I'm guessing there's a difference in how easy they are to work? anybody enlighten me, I've had a Google but still can't decide, anyone?

c101

c106

C106 is almost pure copper. and will be very easy to work (especially in .5mm thickness). It will work harden easily, but can be annealed with an ordinary gas torch. You could probably cut it with a set of heavy duty scissors.
... or even aviation tin snips :P

Thems fancy sleeves!. All I would do is cut a strip, 2" wide and enough to go around the inlet pipe once (ie, the length of the strip is the same as the circumference of the inlet pipe).
...or 34mm x 51mm x Pi*, yarp, I know that bit, just unsure on the metallurgy bit :icon_blackeye:

*Mmmmm, pie... :eusa_whistle:

Hmm...I know that you meant to type 51mm x Pi to get the circumference.... :eusa_whistle:

plus the 34mm which is the width, hence 34mm x (51mm x Pi), smart arse! :icon_salut:

3rd post down from the top mate.

You can bring a horse to water and all that... :P

That's cos as a business they expect to see MONEY, something that Tubby Welsh Scrouge won't part with, I reckon it's his turn for the bacon buts, you coming Steve, I'm gonna record Heds buying a round and post it on YouTube.

Mark

Archived