All this talk of noisy pipes...

Hendo

The thread about the noisy pipes has finally made me decide to get my arse into gear and get my end cans re-packed.

The bikes done 11,000miles now and it is getting rediculously and anti-socially loud. I dont think there is any packing left in them lol.

I can remember evilchicken had a thread about re-packing his end-cans somewhere.

Do I use any packing, like the stuff I can get from my local MX shop? Is it best to put wire wool around the baffle first?

All suggestions and help greatly appreciated

Andy

Cheers for that Zakalwe. I thought it better be stainless because I can remember setting fire to some normal wire wool as a lad, my dad killed me lol.

What kind of rivets though? Im not sure of whats in it at the moment, they could be stainless. I havnt got a very good riveter.

Andy

Ive got a mahoosive roll of stainless wire wool in the garage. 4" wide, sourced from a exhaust manafacturer.

Oh yeah, forgot you had that... :eusa_think: I might be round your house this week, no reason :eusa_whistle:

This is important - WEAR GLOVES

The wire wool cuts and the fibre glass packing gets into your skin. I used builders gloves.

You need to drill out the old rivets so use one of the big drill bits so it drills the head off the shaft, a small one will just go through the rivet and open the hole in the can.

After you've got the wire wool and fibreglass on hold it there with stainless sleel zip ties. Reassemble the can using sealed rivets .... you'll need a good quality rivetter I broke the cheap one I had.

BimCan01.jpg

BimCan21.jpg

BimCan22.jpg

BimCan27.jpg

BimCan26.jpg

Cheers for the pictures EC0.

Managed to get stainless blind rivits sorted, got plenty of packing from my local MX store and stainless ty-wraps courtesy of my old work. Just the stainless wirewool thats needed now. Nowhere stocks it.

I was debating on maybe just leaving it out???

Andy

You on the scrounge?

Lemme know if you need some.

Who, little ol' me? *flutter eyelashes* :blush:

erm, yeah, please... *kicks dust around whilst looking at feet* :)

No worries.

Am at home on Friday afternoon if you want to pick summat up.

Afternoon's fine as I'll have been at the dentist in the morning, so expect me to drool my tea out of the side of my mouth...*

*well, no more than usual :)

Yer bringing tea?

Yeah, a mouthful... just hope I don't swallow my tongue on the way over else carnage could ensue...

• 3 weeks later...

Righty then,bit of an update with some random piccys.

Re-packed my end cans this morning. Big thanks to Zalkalwe who provided the S/S wire wool to me and wouldnt even accept any sort of personal payment for it (a donation from me was sent to Riders for Health at his request). Top man :eusa_whistle: . And Evilchicken01 for his photos. This forum rocks.

The bike stripped-

SDC11313.jpg

Very dirty cans-

SDC11314.jpg

The insides-

SDC11319.jpg

SDC11317.jpg

SDC11316.jpg

SDC11315.jpg

Carbon fibre can straps :pbheroub2:

SDC11311.jpg

To be honest, they arn't really a great deal quieter. I wrapped all the wadding as tightly as I could. All went relatively well, apart from the rivits were a pain in the arse, holes not wanting to line up etc. I must remember to mark everything next time.

As I still wasnt happy with the loudness of it I decided to put the baffles back in

SDC11320.jpg

SDC11321.jpg

Much quieter now. Does anyone know if this will affect the jetting or not? I understand that its probably been jetted to suit the cans without the baffles.

Many thanks to all those who helped

Andy

It will probably be a bit richer. You could do a dyno run and see what you get ... although it might not affect the actual jet size.

Archived