SRAD fork swap

Timbo S2

Hi,

Am currently looking at varius options for the front of my 96 SRAD 750 trackbike. I like the idea of swapping the front forks for those from a later GSXR 750 or 600, with raial mounts, allowing me to use later radial 4 pot calipers. How much work is involved? The forks on the bike are 50mm dia, is it as simple as swapping them over, or will I need the later bikes yokes etc? II have 2 sets of wheels for the SRAD, and would like to retain them if possible...

Other option is a swap to Brembo calpiers, inc. adaptor plates. Looks like about £3-400, so i'd rather the fork swap if cheaper to update the bike a bit.

Not that mechanically experienced, so how hard is it?

Thanks

Obviously, wanting to keep the same wheels may not be compatible with this, but from what I've read the whole front end, inc yokes, is a straight swap, with the possible exception of the lock stops etc.

A lot of Suzuki stuff is a straight swap. You might have to push out the steering stem on the bottom yoke to swap over. I think that the K4 600 stuff will pretty much bolt in.

I will have a complete front end coming up shortly, off a K3 600 (Kais springs, new fork oil, rebuilt 4-pot calipers with 3 new pistons and new seals all round, fibreglass mudguard, top and bottom yokes, steering stem and clipons). Everything you need bar the front wheel (I think the SRAD wheel goes straight in....you might need to check on the disc sizes). Interested?

Thanks, but i'd like radial calipers, so K4 on 600 forks really.

If I can get a brembo set up for reasonable cost, I'll stick to my own forks which have Ohlins springs and been rebuilt.

I'm swapping the K3 forks for K5s and I believe that they bolt straight in (need the K5 yokes).

If your own forks have been rebuilt (revalved?) and resprung then they are probably better than stock K5 forks (which would have to be resprung/'revalved). Are your existing forks USD? I so, can you not swap the fork bottoms?

Maybe. It would appear that its cheaper to get entire forks from ebay than just fork bottoms. Also, I'd have to send forks away to have bottoms changed, prob. easier to have later forks revalved...

Also, later forks will look nicer. Bit tarty I know, but I like the bike to look nice...

Archived