alternator/reg/rec/battery fault finding

porter_jamie

voltage reading, with all connected up:

with battery A (small one off a scooter or something, but weights little) 17+ volts

with battery B (varley redtop 8aH, but is huge and weights lots) 14.2V

is battery A toast, or do i have bigger issues?

I take it thats with the engine running?

Should normally be in the region of 13 to 14.5 volts, if volts are changing, then its probably due to different battery impeadance causing different current to be drawn.

What are the battery voltages when off the bike?

I take it thats with the engine running? YES

Should normally be in the region of 13 to 14.5 volts, if volts are changing, then its probably due to different battery impeadance causing different current to be drawn.

What are the battery voltages when off the bike?

bat a = 12 to 8,5, depending on how long since last charge

bat b over 12

I presume this with engine running? YES

mille - Which battery did you try first - battery A or B? If it was battery A what happens if you go back to battery B?

jamie -A first - didnt go back to A as was at dyno and clock was ticking. Batt A is new as in never tried it before, Batt B has worked for 2 seasons no issues.

mille Is the regulator/rectifier getting warm at all when running battery A?

jamie YES, seems to be warm - with Batt A anyway. I kept an eye on the voltageand it was right on 13. whatever the whole time (on big battery)

mille- if neecesary stick the re/rec in the fridge for a few hours to cool it and then plug it and run the engine asap and feel whether it warms up gradually or quickly..

mille - Have you checked the reg/rec earth?

jamie - NOPE - will do

mille - Alternator, battery and regulator/rectifier need to be matched as a system - if the small battery does not draw enough current even when discharged to cause the regulator to kick and dump excess voltage and turn it into heat then it will result in high volategs at the battery overcharge the battery. Where has the alternator and reg/rec come from?

jamie - ITS FROM A BRIT BIKE 3 PHASE LUCAS REPLACEMENT, AND THE ALTERNATOR IS STANDARD 3 PHASE ROTAX. NO SPECS AS FAR AS I AM AWARE.

i found this:

http://www.electrosport.com/technical-reso...ing-diagram.pdf

so i shall follow it to see what happens - the last thing says duff battery

ps i need to work this quoting lark out

Archived