More tyre help please

nigel.ted

As most of you know i have a 99zx6r G2

it runs a 120/60/17....170/60/17

now i want to try a stickier tyre but because it runs a 170 rear my choices are limited.

it has the same size rims as a j2,these run 120/55....180/55

rim size on mine is 3.75 fr....5.50r so the rear can take a 180

Newer 600s run a 120/70...180/55 and give me a better chioce.

the quesetion is what will it do to the bike,feel etc any body done tried this.

Thinking of getting a set of part worns to try,good idea?

Mileage wise is not a real issue as i dont do mega miles,it has the same tyres on(pilot power) that fitted prior to Anglesey 2008!!!! so thats anglesey 08 then cadwell Aug 08 and Anglesey 09 plus general hooning about.

Also i did have a little lie down at Anglesey this year running out of grip/off the tyre!!!

Any info regarding changes to suspension please would be a great help

Thanks

nigel

As most of you know i have a 99zx6r G2

Newer 600s run a 120/70...180/55 and give me a better chioce.

nigel

Get rid of that nasty 120/60 front tyre. I know that a 120/70 will fit a 2000 ZX-6R and not rub the front mudguard, I'm not sure about the 1999 bike but it's likely to fit without an issue. A 120/60 tyre feels like it's going to tuck when tipping into corners whereas a 120/70 will give a nicer roll-in to corners and feel more stable - giving more confidence to load the front on track.

A 5.5" rim is fine for a 180/55, and as you say, does give much more range of sticky tyres to choose from. Again, it'll be slightly more stable and be 'slightly' slower at turning. But there's not much in it. Tyre profile between brands/tyres is more noticeable.

HTH

Ben

Just a thought, check the clearance on the 170 rear to the swingarm and chain run. You should be fine as the 180 isn't that much wider (probably about 5mm either side...) but it'd be worth being sure.

good 10mm clearance from chain run

The only thing to check with the front is to make sure that it won't rub the mudguard. Going to a larger profile is not uncommon on a few 600's, early R6 owners are particularly fond of this. It'll give you a slightly more smooth, progressive roll into corners, plus open up avenues for different tyres.

You should be ok with the profile change on the front if my J2 is anything to go by (probably isn't but thought i'd stick an oar in for ye). Have to say since doing the same profile change the zx has been an absolute mile better to ride than before. Thumbs up to that one mate! :thumbsup:

Nigel

I had a GJA bitsa, no problems with running 120 180 tyres.

Are you sure it has a 17 x 3.75 front rim? Typo? It sounds too wide by .25. (pedantic, unless you order the wrong stuff for it somehow)

Part worns are a reasonable way of trying different stuff without the expense of back to back testing... but. If they are fooked, turned oily blue, or have significant wear on them it can be damn near impossible to make a sound comparison.

Also ask Rich about presures. This can have a large efect on how tyres feel.

Trust yer well

Andy

Nigel

I had a GJA bitsa, no problems with running 120 180 tyres.

Are you sure it has a 17 x 3.75 front rim? Typo? It sounds too wide by .25. (pedantic, unless you order the wrong stuff for it somehow)

Part worns are a reasonable way of trying different stuff without the expense of back to back testing... but. If they are fooked, turned oily blue, or have significant wear on them it can be damn near impossible to make a sound comparison.

Also ask Rich about presures. This can have a large efect on how tyres feel.

Trust yer well

Andy

yep sausage fingers Andy tis 3.50

we all fine

nigel

Archived