Need Info: Dented Downpipes...

xjrsommsi

hello everybody out there....

just need some solution/idea how to solve the problem i´ve got with the dented header of my blackbird.

the story:

diameter approx. only 2/3 of original, length of dent estimated 2.5" (in the middle of the straight tube after the first angle down out of exhaust port- hope you know?)--> i´d like to repair the downpipe but can only do this in 2 weeks or so.

my question:

do you think this reduction of diameter disturbs the flow in that way, that the engine can be damaged (overheated on cylinder 1 for example? or the piston wall resp the exhaust valve gets burned?).

pls, need some advice soon.....i´m nervous risking a major engine breakdown due to the exhaust heat backwash?

cheers,

fred

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/9286/img6155m.jpg

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/9231/img6164.jpg

http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/5233/img6162.jpg

Im not too sure on the effect the dent will have on your engine but I have fixed a few problems like this in the past. The way I have done it is to weld a piece of heavy guage wire (welding rod sort of thickness) onto the middle of the dent then used a slide hammer to pop the dent out. Have had to heat a few in the past to help too. Obviously this will be more effective on certain materials than other so it does depend on what the pipes are made out of and how much of a "crease" there is at the edge of the dent. Hope this helps, Ben.

Im not too sure on the effect the dent will have on your engine but I have fixed a few problems like this in the past. The way I have done it is to weld a piece of heavy guage wire (welding rod sort of thickness) onto the middle of the dent then used a slide hammer to pop the dent out. Have had to heat a few in the past to help too. Obviously this will be more effective on certain materials than other so it does depend on what the pipes are made out of and how much of a "crease" there is at the edge of the dent. Hope this helps, Ben.

cheers, ben-

good idea!

i just thought of cutting the dent out with a "dremel/flex saw" and welding a halfpipe tube over the cutout (stainless, of course...).

but that i can only do in 2 weeks, ish.

your idea is way faster!

i´ll try that

fred

+1

Slide hammers are the tools of the Gods!!

Chances are with this idea you may not get it perfect, but you will get a decent enough profile back to not worry about any damage (though i'm not 100% sure if it will cause any?)

Yeah it never looks mint but you can get em pretty good. Theres normally a line left where the crease was but thats about it. If you're really good with the cutting compound then you can grind the rod off and polish the last remnants off so only the heat marks left by the weld remain.

Archived