Odd Engine Noise?

johnny

My Triumph Speed 4 has developed a weird engine noise and thought I'd see if anyone has any ideas?

It's a rattly clicking noise that's quite loud and only starts at about 6000rpm and then grows in frequency with the revs until I can't hear it over the wind noise. The strange thing is that it only happens on a positive throttle, it stops as soon as you stop accerelating and go onto a neutral or negative throttle.

Also, the noise only happens when riding and can't be replicated just revving the bike while stationary. However if I rev it at a standstill I think I might hear just one knock as the revs rise but it could just be in my head.

I think that's about it, any ideas gratefully received.

You've got a pixie living under the fuel tank.When the revs rise, the engine gets louder and it wakes the little fucker up.He then proceeds to batter your cam cover with a toffee hammer until you slow down and he can go back to sleep.

The only known cure is to go find a pack of weasels, feed them plenty of cheap gin from Aldi and then let 'em loose on your bike.You should find that this gets rid of the pixie - the only downside is that you then have to deal with a load of bloodthirsty weasels with a hangover..

Had a similar problems with my last 2 bikes! I fixed one last night, which was ill-fitting header pipes. The first one was something wrong with thye camchain, i would get it checked asap, as i left mine for too long, and the engine eventually went bang!

Archived