Air Filter: Diagnosis

Mr.Incredible

Hello.

I am investigating the general performance of my RRV FireBlade. I reckon that it should show around 175 on the clock, equating to a real-life 165, right? Well, mine tops out at an indicated 150 (so what's that, a real life 140?) in 5th and/or 6th and simply WILL NOT go any faster. Not only that, but it isn't very responsive when you open it up, despite fuelling fine in terms of starting and also revving cleanly without misfiring.

As it had been standing for 2 1/2 years before I bought it, I changed the oil and filter and brake fluid and have now done about 1,200 or so inciden't free miles. I thought I might have a look at the air filter as I didn't know how long it had been in there. The air filter has only done 3,000 miles but is 4 years old (thanks, past mechanic for labelling it with the date & mileage, good tip that), and it looks a little something like this:

dscf3318w.jpg

dscf3316.jpg

dscf3321d.jpg

Looking at the top and side views, do you think the elephant, sorry, element looks dirty enough to affect performance? Also, that pic of the underside where it's all oily...is that just normal residue from the crankcase breather into the airbox, or does it point to a problem?

I have just ordered a new Honda filter so will be replacing this one in any case, but I wanted to see whether the condition of the old one could help diagnose the current deficit in power. Innit.

Your comments are welcome, constructive or indeed otherwise.

Thanks

Thanks for that Mike, will do...rang Road & Track Dyno in Aylesbury earlier in fact, will try and get it booked in before I do Brands on 14th.

Just guessing, WOT = wide open throttle, AFR = air/fuel ratio? It does have OEM downpipes/collector (it's all one unit) but from a later model bike (RRW/X) with a standard end can, and of course it was also standing for all that time. So yeah, maybe I was pinning too much on a new air filter curing all my woes while hoping (somewhat naively perhaps) that the jetting would be fine, carbs wouldn't be seized up, etc...

Thanks for that Mike, will do...rang Road & Track Dyno in Aylesbury earlier in fact, will try and get it booked in before I do Brands on 14th.

I've used Road & Track in Aylesbury a couple of times now, Chris there knows his dyno onions and is a nice chap to boot.

remember to demand tea and biscuits, he can be lax on providing refreshments and needs to be reminded

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it was the filter, or at least the filter wasn't helping. Putting a new (OEM) one gave it almost 4bhp more and improved AFR almost everywhere.

It's good enough now not to need to bother with re-jetting, and I am going to keep the std exhaust on because I think race cans are noisy and make you look like a tit. So, all sorted for now and ready for Brands on 14/7 and Cadwell on 10/8...

Archived