Clutch pushrod oil seal is leaking

matt_the_blat

Hi All,

I'm after some tips from any experienced mechanics - it relates to this thread over on Apriliaforum but I thought I'd post it here too to widen the net.

Long story short, my chain broke and twatted the clutch slave cylinder housing, since when the clutch pushrod oil seal has been leaking - either because of my hamfistedness when I accidentally squashed the oil seal when I put things back together, or because the recess where it lives is now out of round after getting smacked by the chain.

I replaced the clutch pushrod oil seal a couple of weeks ago (genuine Aprilia part) but it still seems to be leaking. (N.B. It's definitely an oil leak, not a clutch fluid leak.)

Oil isn't pissing out by any means - it's merely a slow steady drip so I have no concerns about the volume of oil being lost, or any loss of oil pressure, but as you probably know just a little bit of oil makes a hell of a mess!

If so I guess the only real cure is to replace the engine casing (or more likely the whole engine) but that's a rather drastic measure and realistically out of the question.

Do any of you knowledgeable people have any experienced mechanics tips for what I could do to try and stem the leak?

Thanks in advance,

Matt :lol:

I'm not sure how the Aprilia pushrod is set up, but I'd hazard a guess that you may have to find a similar seal that's slightly oversize, or get an engineering shop to re-bore the seal cavity and fit a bigger seal?

Failing that, divert the oil flow to the chain for a free Scottoiler....

I'm not sure how the Aprilia pushrod is set up, but I'd hazard a guess that you may have to find a similar seal that's slightly oversize, or get an engineering shop to re-bore the seal cavity and fit a bigger seal?

Failing that, divert the oil flow to the chain for a free Scottoiler....

Hmm..... that would go nicely with the genuine scottoiler I already have :eusa_whistle:

Actually it does make quite a good automatic sidestand oiler :thumbsup:

:icon_puke_r:

These are the pics I put up on the Apriliaforum showing what it looks like:

DSC00309b.JPG

DSC00311b.JPG

DSC00308b.JPG

Give Griff at Aprilia performance a bell. He serviced my Mille week before last. O nicer more knowledgable fellow you could't hope to meet.

Question, did you put the oil seal in and then inserted the pushrod? That usually buggers the seals very fine "lip". To give a hint in that direction, is the leak coming from the seal to crankcase area or the seal to pushrod area? You can smear a dab of hi-temp (not copper) grease around the seal/on the seal, take the bike for a spin and then see the oil trace clearly..

Ronni

Question, did you put the oil seal in and then inserted the pushrod? That usually buggers the seals very fine "lip". To give a hint in that direction, is the leak coming from the seal to crankcase area or the seal to pushrod area? You can smear a dab of hi-temp (not copper) grease around the seal/on the seal, take the bike for a spin and then see the oil trace clearly..

Ronni

I managed to pull the old seal out carefully and bit by bit with some long nosed pliers, only pulling on the old seal so I was careful not to score the pushrod or casing. So I didn't need to remove the actual pushrod at all.

I pre-lubed the new seal, pushed it in by hand and then drove it home gently using a socket (just smaller than the OD of the seal) and a rubber hammer.

Haven't taken it apart yet so no chance yet to see if I can tell exactly where it's leaking - maybe this weekend.....

Archived