YZF750 THUNDERACE CONVERSION

uggiebear

Thanks Tootall seen that before and there is another with pictures...More my level :D but what he said with mixing and matching and rebuilding the thou into the 750 (keeping the numbers) is what i am really after. My newest jem :eusa_dance: is cracking but proper neeeding a good sorting i dont think it has seen a qualified mechanic for some time and i am useing it everyday at the mo and dont want to open the can of worms just yet, its defiantly needing a carb balance and the exup is removed making it have no guts but i think there is more to it than just that, so an engine rebuild is on the cards and i thought if its going that far why not thou it up :D they really are cracking bikes and the dog she is now i love her to pieces will be even better with a chain thats not got more tight spots than an mp's expence form and a front brake that works and that thing maskarading as a shock is replaced with something that springs might be a start.

I had a 95 Jap Import 750SP a few year ago with flatslides. Bought an Exup RU engine, and to be fair, it was the easiest swap!

We transfered the 5 speed internals into the 6 speed casings (to keep the numbers the same and use the 1000 carbs. The only mod essential was to lower rad mounts needed moving forward to avoid the headers (two 2" alloy plates and that was about it!.

As the dimensions are identical, dead straight forward, no issues with space as far as I can recall (cue rose tints, it was bloody marvellous!). Making the front mounting plates took 45 mins with the engine held in position with a jack, but no brain surgery required.

Used the SP headers and exup valve, SP rad and SP airbox if I remember correctly....Took a couple of days start to finish, made the bike 150 times better and add a discreet 1000 logo under the SP decal and it was my little secret, damn the R1's.

Sold the flatslides and SP bits and that paid for the whold 100 motor - Nice!

DO IT, YOUI KNOW YOU NEED TO!

So Srad what did you transfer over crank barrels obvious but what about the oil pump are they differant as the oil pressure has been mentioned on Tootall link also how did you go about with the crank, did you just swap the shells over from the thou block to the 750? Will try to use the exup system as this one is severly lacking it.

Hey all, Im in need to a speedometer dial unit for a 96 Thunderace.

I dont need the whole dash unit, just the speedo unit with all the mechanicals obviously, not just the dial face.

If anyone has a working one they dont need, please let me know.

So Srad what did you transfer over crank barrels obvious but what about the oil pump are they differant as the oil pressure has been mentioned on Tootall link also how did you go about with the crank, did you just swap the shells over from the thou block to the 750? Will try to use the exup system as this one is severly lacking it.

Erm, pretty sure we used the 1000RU pump as part of the transfer, just used the casings from the 750SP. New shells ect, crank was also 1000RU.

If ur not precious bought the engine numbers, just use an entire RU lump with all parts and drop it in complete with carbs, we just switched the casings to keep the original numbers (kindov a long way round but the RU lump we got from Blacks came with no numbers, just receipt so did it all to keep things legal...ish!

• 1 month later...
Cheers Srad thats the type of info i was after !

Hopefully will crop up in a few months with pics :wacko:

Have a look in projects for an update

Archived