wheel stuck on hub

Acid

o.k guys tryed to remove my rear wheel today and its bloody well stuck on removed the nut (single swinger) and beat the wheel with a rubber mallet and nothing. the wheel hasent been off in a year or so (tyre fitting place were that last ones to have it off)

Before any one says bring it to a tyre palce i tryed that and they could not get it off and then wanted to get a blow torch and heat the rear wheel to get it off but i told him to stop when he started bubbling up my paint.

Now it was very cold, windy lashing with rain when they tryed to remove it so the wheel would be pretty tight to the wheel.

So should i wait to a hotter day (should be around 19 at weekend) so the wheel will not be a tight to the hub.

Its soaking in petatrating oil atm so i,m gonna try ity again tomorrow any one got any other ideas.

Take the big bolt out from the centre of the hub, slide it through from the wheel side so it sticks out to where the wheel nut normally goes, this gives you somewhere to locate a two/three legged puller. If you stick the legs behind the webs on the wheel spokes then you'll be able to pull it off in a controlled way, no damage to anything, works everytime.

If your worried about the webs on the wheel you could stick two big bits of wood behind the spokes to spread the load.

Penetrating oil certainly does help, but takes time and you have to make sure it's getting in to the seized area. It's best to lay the bike on it's side to allow the WD40 to soak right in and leave it for a few days. Then I would try pouring lots of boiling water on the wheel to try get as much heat in it as possible, at the same time try to cool the spindle as much as possible with something like freezer spray (Order Code: RE77J, £5.99 @ Maplins).Then hit the wheel as close to the spindle as you can get with a brass drift. Or you could lay the bike on it's side again and support the weight of the bike by the back wheel with a couple of strong mates and screw the nut loosely back on the spindle so the face of the nut and the end of the spindle are level and tap it squarely with a brass drift bigger than the spindle so that you do minimal damage to the threads and the spindle. You could try levering the wheel away from the swingarm at the same time but it can often do more harm than good, it really needs a good shock from a hammer and drift that a rubber mallet just can't give. Best of luck mate!

Had exactly the same prob with my 30. Like "thefatman" say's get yourself some external pullers and bits of wood and ease the wheel off nice and gradually. A cheapo set of pullers are easy to come by and will reduce the risk of damage to your nice soft cast rims. Give the hub a nice clean with a wire brush and some scotch brite when it's off and plenty of copperslip on the mating face and locating lugs when it goes back together.

Jamie

Archived