sp1 brakes

rc30sp1

the front brakes on my sp1 seem to be binding. if you lift the front and spin the wheel it may only spin one revolution. iv rebuilt my calipers,replacing seals,fluids, and pads.iv also goodridge hoses fitted. the bike feels fine on the road any ideas. thanks stephen.

When you rebuilt your calipers, and fitted your new seals, did you use red rubber grease to lubricate the seals so the pistons slide nicley?

i cleaned the pistons and smeared brake fluid over seals before rebuilding. the brakes have been doing this for a long time not just from the rebuild. :eusa_whistle:

It's a long shot, but could the rivets on the discs be full of brake dust and not letting the disc float? They get bunged up and need cleaning now and then by turning them and spraying brake cleaner into them.

mmmm will give that a shot. i think i should oil my disks,that might help :icon_bounce: seriously i think i will try all of above,it cant hurt.

Before you installed the new seals did you clean the seating area?often they bind as corrosion builds up behind the seal and 'pushes' it making it grip the piston and hence bind.

well i cleaned them as best i could.

Before you installed the new seals did you clean the seating area?often they bind as corrosion builds up behind the seal and 'pushes' it making it grip the piston and hence bind.

+1

a small brass wire brush is perfect for this as it's not abrasive enough to damage the seats, but it gets all the gunk out

Those Honda brakes are known to be a little "bindy", even when hot, but my guess is it's not even a brake issue-but a front wheel alignment issue.

Try loosening the pinch bolts and axle bolt, then re-tighten axle to torque spec. Take the bike off the front stand and bounce the forks up and down a couple times with the brakes on to align the calipers and discs/seat axle properly, then re-tighten the pinch bolts to torque spec.

The brakes will be much less bindy when hot, but you won't get perfect drag-free brakes like brembo's HPK kit, for example.

Apply a brake contact cleaner to the discs as well, then wipe off with a clean rag to finish the job and remove any contaminants.

Another cause may be that the pads are contaminated, but if they're clean and new (with the caliper rebuild...) I doubt that will be a problem :thumbsup:

wiil try that but iv no torque settins as iv ohlins forks and machined spacers to suit. by the way the brakes were binding on standard forks also.

Hey RC30SP1 have you read the other thread?

Have you checked your discs with a dial gauge to see if they are running true? The slightest of run-out on them will cause the brakes to bind/stop the wheel from freely spinning.

HTH

Cibbers

Archived