Cheap powder coating for wheels

scwirral

I've been offered a price of £40 to have both wheels powder coated black. It is such a good price because they would be done in a batch with other stuff. The coatings guy wants the wheels stripped and degreased. Can I use nitromors or something to get the paint off and do it myself, or would they have to be blasted to clean them?

I've been offered a price of £40 to have both wheels powder coated black. It is such a good price because they would be done in a batch with other stuff. The coatings guy wants the wheels stripped and degreased. Can I use nitromors or something to get the paint off and do it myself, or would they have to be blasted to clean them?

I'd phone round a few others places and try and find one who can blast them at the same time, rather than messing about trying to strip them.

The prob with having them blasted is you can't make changes -eg if they need some filler, or you want to loose some of the writing cast intot he wheel, you're stuffed.

A few years ago I did the same, preped the wheels myself. Just used sandpaper.

If you can get yourself down to Tamworth in the midlands, (not too far away) - there's a company that chemically dip wheels, they did my PVM's prior to having them powder coated. Although I think powder coating companies still have to 'key' in to the surface of the wheel to get the powder to stick when baking.

PM if you want the details of the dippers, it's a big plant that deal with (I believe) - the chassis for Land Rover before they're painted. They charged me £10 + VAT for both wheels. Used to be a box of tea bags, but a large German company took over so the old boy that works there has to charge an admin fee now.

£40 for just coating is steep scwirral, shop around. Take a look in the yellow pages for things like 'rust proofing', rather than just wheel refurbs etc. £40 should get then stripped and coated.

Thanks, guys. I'll contact a few more firms once I have sourced a front wheel!

What happens about the unfinished mating faces for the discs? Do they get coated and then you remove the finish, or do they get masked up before coating? Does it matter which technique is used?

What happens about the unfinished mating faces for the discs? Do they get coated and then you remove the finish, or do they get masked up before coating? Does it matter which technique is used?

Hmm... this is why you should take them somewhere like Central Wheel Components who strip, degrease, blast, and powdercoat. Yes, it costs, but they also know what they're doing. If you need them blasting, pm Holty225 (i think) on here, who can soda blast. It's gentle on alloy and leaves a satin finish good enough for a key but not aggresive as grit or shot.

take it to somewhere that knows what they're doing.

They will shotblast as part of the service, and will mask off any areas that need to be left bare. (bearing housings/brake disk mounts etc)

Triple S do the job properly for £75 plus Vat i.e degrease, blast, masking, etc as you can see from Johnnymac's K1 in this month's mag. They sorted my K1 wheels the same way and seemed a fair price for the effort and finish acheived.

Cheers for all the helpful comments, fellas :thumbsup:

Looks like the VFR800 wheel I was hoping to get has gone, so I'm back to waiting...

Redditch Shotblasting in Redditch (surprise) will sort you out (seeing as you're in Evesham) here

They mask off the bearing and disc faces for you, bead blast (shot balsting is a bit rough for aluminum), then the thickest coating I have ever seen (and I've had a few wheels done)

£50, but no fucking about scraping off powder coating from the disc mtg faces and out of the bearing housings

Finish is absolutely superb

I'll be going back to get more done here

Trouble is,m if you do prep them your self and do get every bit of the previous coating off, plus grease/oil and the new coating doesn't take in these area's, the coater won't won't to know.

best to give it to someone who does the blasting as well, then they are responsible for the whole job.

Archived