XJR and FZR forks

lorenzo

Has anybody got any experience of the front ends of either of these bikes? I've been having a scour around ebay and it seems you can get both fairly cheap, as far as I know you can fit the yamaha bluespot brakes onto either of them (the XJR comes with them anyway), and they both look pretty long too. What I'm after is a pair of right way up forks that'll take the bluespots (my brake of choice as they're plentiful 2nd hand and have loads of power, loads of feel) and will not need completely reworking in terms of damping should I put them on a pretty heavy bike, like a Katana for instance. I'm just shopping around at the moment, sussing out what might be the best option, but does anybody have any strong opinions on either of these sets of forks? Do either of them have adjustable damping as well as preload? Does anybody know exactly what length they are, unladen? Like I say, I'm just after info, so if you've any suggestions feel free to post. I also thought about fazer forks, or perhaps bandit 1200, although I'm not convinced that the tokicos that come with them are especially good brakes (not bad maybe, but given the choice of brakes out there, I'd not have them top of my list, especially given how prone they are to needing cleaning up every 5 minutes). I've a penchant for the brakes on fireblades too, what forks come with them that are long and don't come with a silly 16" front wheel? Hmm, decisions, decisions....

Has anybody got any experience of the front ends of either of these bikes? I've been having a scour around ebay and it seems you can get both fairly cheap, as far as I know you can fit the yamaha bluespot brakes onto either of them (the XJR comes with them anyway), and they both look pretty long too. What I'm after is a pair of right way up forks that'll take the bluespots (my brake of choice as they're plentiful 2nd hand and have loads of power, loads of feel) and will not need completely reworking in terms of damping should I put them on a pretty heavy bike, like a Katana for instance. I'm just shopping around at the moment, sussing out what might be the best option, but does anybody have any strong opinions on either of these sets of forks? Do either of them have adjustable damping as well as preload? Does anybody know exactly what length they are, unladen? Like I say, I'm just after info, so if you've any suggestions feel free to post. I also thought about fazer forks, or perhaps bandit 1200, although I'm not convinced that the tokicos that come with them are especially good brakes (not bad maybe, but given the choice of brakes out there, I'd not have them top of my list, especially given how prone they are to needing cleaning up every 5 minutes). I've a penchant for the brakes on fireblades too, what forks come with them that are long and don't come with a silly 16" front wheel? Hmm, decisions, decisions....

Dont FJ1200 forks have a 17in rim and take the blue-spots as a straight swap? NO weight issue either i'd imagine, the FJ is a fatty too.

Good shout, I'll have a look, see if they fetch much.

I wouldnd have though they did, I think its the later model ones you want, the 1100 and (I think) the early 1200's had a 16 i front wheel and antidive :)

Archived