It's alive alive I tells ya

Supercoolnothing

Bit of an odd one this my 98 model R1 has developed the weirdest fault every time I turn on the ignition the starter motor spins over by itself and the bike tries to fire up and when it has fired up the starter motor continues to spin (I've disconnected the clutch lock out so once the bike goes into gear the bike thinks its in gear with the clutch fully out and stops the motor running) it did this last year and I changed the starter relay and that seemed to solve the problem so when it re-occurred a week or so back I was more than a little pissed off bought a new relay (at 50 quid I might add ouch!) and the problem is still there. I've stripped the starter switch gave all the parts a good clean and checked they were working fine and the problems still there. I'm about pulling my hair out with it so if anyone has any ideas I would be more than a little grateful for any advice or insights.

Blimey!

Electrical short? It certainly sounds like the starter motor is constantly engaged, so if the mechanical part (i.e. the button and related gubbins) of it has been thoroughly cleaned, I'd look at the electrical part.

Normal Rompy caveats apply, of course

The starter solenoid operates by switching an earth to complete the circuit , the usual cause of strange behaviour like this is the starter circuit cut off relay , without having the bike and a wiring diag in front of me its hard to say for definite . with the ign on disconnect it and see if it stops

The starter solenoid operates by switching an earth to complete the circuit , the usual cause of strange behaviour like this is the starter circuit cut off relay , without having the bike and a wiring diag in front of me its hard to say for definite . with the ign on disconnect it and see if it stops

@ SCN: there's a wiring diagram at the back of the Haynes manual, if you don't have one let me know & I can try scanning & emailing you a copy

I've got a wiring diagram but cheers for the offer monkey! I havent really had a chance to look at it yet but I'm pretty sure its a short somewhere along the blue n white wire that runs from the starter button to the solenoid I'm gonna get my hands on a multi-meter and check that then I'll check every other wire in the circuit till I (hopefully) find the problem

Archived