M, m, m, my Daytona (getting the knack of)

RealityRSV

The (brief) story so far.  Bought this as a lockdown present to myself.  Typically only used on sunny days, and rarely, but am getting more use from it this year especially as my van is currently off the road.

The front end has always been on the firm side, and has meant I've often found it pretty vague when trying to push on.  Not knowing how to adjust anything, I've left well alone.  I did however get the fork seals changed at its last service at Lings in Watton, and that seemed to improve things, but not completely.

Fast forward to last month and I decide to join some other forum folk @ZXRRDave, @blow_away @hawkati @Timbo S2 and @EvilSpike for a track day at Snetterton, my first in probably about 10 years.  The front end vagueness was back with a vengeance, it ripped up the Pirelli tyres it was wearing in short order and a couple laps in to the second session, halfway round the tight left Agostini, the front tyre gave up and i low sided.  Probably a combo of my lack of rider skill, the front end, and shit cold tyres.  With the help of the marshall I pick it up, start it, and do the ride of shame back to the pits.  

P-20240812-104611.jpg

I try and put it behind me.  The broken indicator is duct taped to the fairing, I do a quick once over to check its safe enough to go back out, and the day continues. For the rest of sessions, Alan tries to help me with a setup, but not a lot seems to be helping.  With a ziptie on the front stanchion it seems I'm only using half of the available travel.  Also the right fork adjusters are stiff and don't seem to have a full range of adjustments.  I determine to do a few things, to buy a set of better tyres (Dunlop Sportsmarts) and get them fitted. Get a fresh MOT (it passes, but it's pointed out the lock stop has been snapped off). And book the bike in to MCT for a fork service and setup. 

Which was today..  with rain pissing down, I go overkill on waterproofs, put plastic bags on my feet, latex gloves under my rain gloves, and tiptoe my way down the A140.  He seemed surprised to see me.

P-20240927-100045.jpg

His first impression.. it's horrible.. how the hell have you been riding that. 

The verdict.  Way too much oil in the forks.  Both of them.  This is despite it going through Lings service department so how the hell they messed that up I have no idea.  The other issue found was on the right fork, the internal preload nut was at the end of its available range, hence why the top adjusters range was so limited.  They've had new springs installed, and been fully stripped and sorted, and now they are back to fully working again.  The difference in ride comfort is very apparent.  I didn't feel I could push the front end given the weather, but I'm confident the vagueness issue will be in the past.  He has mentioned the shock could use a service, so I'll look into that over winter.  There was a couple other things he picked up on too.  Either the head bearing or steering damper has a notchy feel through the range.. it's not terrible, but could use sorting.  Also, the bolt that sets the LH handlebar position is missing, and the crash has knocked the clip-on back about 15mm... Oops, missed that!  He tries to replace the bolt only to find it has sheared off.  Never mind, they're not essential, but it's on the to sort list.

Thing is, I knew that bolt was missing from the last Lings service.  They hadn't told me it was sheared off though 😕

And finally, Ive been ordering some crash protection ( 🐎 🚪 ) .  Tried fitting the frame sliders the other day while I had the fairing off, but could not move the engine mount bolts, so I'll get a better extension bar soon.  I've also got a second hand alternator cover protector to hide the now scuffed up one, which lead to a discovery when researching that the cover on the bike is not the original one.  No big deal, but it's now apparent this bike has been dropped before:

The snapped clip on locator 

The non original alternator cover

The carbon seat unit and aftermarket arrow can ( but no originals included when I bought it)

Oh well, it's all history, and I don't feel terrible about having dropped it myself.  It's a tool to be used, and finally i'm doing that.  But tools need sharpening now and again.

My confidence in Lings servicing has been knocked now though, so I'll try get as much done myself this time as I can.  For now though, I'll treat it to a wash this weekend, but then it's back to commuting duties next week.

• Like 8

Great to see another D675 on this Forum.

I have a few of them (my main one is constantly evolving, and is shown in photos below), plus I have a load of spare bits and bobs, feel free to give me a shout if you need anything.

7D930534-3F8F-4CE3-A60C-560D435ED207 76BAA7AD-4277-4EB0-AF6E-955B0831DD49

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, blow_away said:

Glad you're on the road to getting this sorted John 👍

Maybe look for a new rear shock? @Sideshow Pob?

To be fair, the standard shock in those Daytonas isn’t too bad, but of course it depends what you want it to do. A service could well give it a new lease of life bearing in mind it very possibly has 12 year old oil inside and maybe not the gas pressure it was designed to have.

But then if you really do fancy splurging out on a new DDS rear then I’ll be happy to do you a cracking deal on one, or maybe a YSS or Nitron even.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Sideshow Pob said:

To be fair, the standard shock in those Daytonas isn’t too bad, but of course it depends what you want it to do. A service could well give it a new lease of life bearing in mind it very possibly has 12 year old oil inside and maybe not the gas pressure it was designed to have.

But then if you really do fancy splurging out on a new DDS rear then I’ll be happy to do you a cracking deal on one, or maybe a YSS or Nitron even.

Thanks..

MCT can service it for £120, I think that's my best option for now.  He did say I could stick a new spring in at the same time if I felt if would help.. apparently they are slightly stiff as standard? But then thats extra money, and would prob make replacing the whole thing a more viable option at that point