Tool chests

ssray

I'm looking to get a larger chest as the current one is too small or I can't organise it properly.

Looking at either s/h Sealy or Clarke hd(both 42inch) or new Halfords 36 inch ones

Is there much difference in the £600 price range?

I have a Halfords Pro lower box, mid box and both side lockers (topbox is an old Snap-On that I’ve had for donkeys years), very happy with it all except that I’ve run out of space (again) for tools.

Find someone with a Halfords Trade Card for some discount. If I remember correctly you’re not too far from me (I’m in Shrewsbury) so I could help if the saving is worth the fuel cost.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, SWTH said:

I have a Halfords Pro lower box, mid box and both side lockers (topbox is an old Snap-On that I’ve had for donkeys years), very happy with it all except that I’ve run out of space (again) for tools.

Find someone with a Halfords Trade Card for some discount. If I remember correctly you’re not too far from me (I’m in Shrewsbury) so I could help if the saving is worth the fuel cost.

I've got a Halfords trade card, thanks for the offer 

The 36inch top and bottom from Halfords are about £650 trade 

The sealey and Clarke ones(both 42 inch)new are £1200-1700 but around £600 used.

It's not for a working garage, just my DIY stuff.

Edited by ssray
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, ssray said:

I've got a Halfords trade card, thanks for the offer 

The 36inch top and bottom from Halfords are about £650 trade 

The sealey and Clarke ones(both 42 inch)new are £1200-1700 but around £600 used.

It's not for a working garage, just my DIY stuff.

Halfords stuff will be fine. I’ve just looked and at the moment there’s some offers on tool storage, the big 6-drawer Advanced cabinet is down from £450 to £360 inc VAT, and the 6-drawer advanced chest is down to £168 inc.

• Like 2

Mostly Halfords stuff here too. It is just somewhere to keep my tools. Unless I suddenly became indecently wealthy, I couldn't spend fortunes on glorified boxes.

• Like 2

If you get friendly with your local SnapOn man you can get some really good stuff fairly cheap (for snapon) I got a 5 grand box for 1200 as it was a trade in and it's as new. It'll still be worth near that in a few years too if i ever sell it plus all the life warranty etc etc.

Not a chance I'd buy one new mind.

53940323670_e5db060df3_b.jpg

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Superdunc said:

6 hours ago, dab33 said:

@Superduncbeat me to it, I have a SGS roll cab and top box my mate with snap on stuff is most pissed at the quality of it.

SGS have been sold to a London based company and have started down the slippery slope to Machine Mart levels of quality.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

12 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

SGS have been sold to a London based company and have started down the slippery slope to Machine Mart levels of quality.

That’s a shame, I’ve got some SGS stuff and it’s been pretty decent. Seen too much Machine Mart/Clarke stuff break after 5 seconds use.

I have Halfords Industrial - it's fine and there's usually a deal where you buy the roller cab and get the top free.

Don't get it delivered pick it up yourself if you can after watching being "unloaded" and finding a bit of a dent I complained ... got £50 off. 

2 hours ago, Evilchicken0 said:

finding a bit of a dent I complained

:o

I'd have sent it back.

9 hours ago, Evilchicken0 said:

I have Halfords Industrial - it's fine and there's usually a deal where you buy the roller cab and get the top free.

Don't get it delivered pick it up yourself if you can after watching being "unloaded" and finding a bit of a dent I complained ... got £50 off. 

7 hours ago, Johnno said:

I'd have sent it back.

It’s a toolbox it’s going to get dented.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Johnno said:

I'd have sent it back.

It wasn't that bad and £50 (about 10% of the cost) made it look a lot better 

17 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

Not really - it sits at the front of the garage 

46 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

Found the Clarke stuff ( with the ball bearing draw sliders) a joy to use.

If you can afford the space get a wide roll cab, and keep the top clear for doing jobs on, some come with hardboard tops.

I inherited a Caterpillar one off the old man and it's enough for me to do away with the set up like your.

• Like 1