Oil on back tyre

formerlyknownasBT

Hi,

So I had my bike serviced the other day and looks like the oil cap wasn't securely tightened. Heyho. 

I only noticed, as I've just ridden to France (staying at Albert tonight and heading to Troyes tomorrow) and noticed that I've oil on my back tyre.

I've wiped what I can off with a rag (I'm in a hotel), and obviously tightened the oil cap. Anything I need to do, just ride in as if it's a new tyre. Or do I need to get it replaced? 

For the oil, there appears to be plenty in the oil window, so I don't think I need to get that filled up. I'm only here for a few days. 

Doh. 

Looking at the odd photo I took, I can see it was leaking on the train, by this point I've already done 200 miles, plus then another 100 in France. 

There is a triumph dealership nearby in Amiens if I need to pop there. Nightmare. 

PXL_20240912_123243182.MP

This is before the 100mile of hooning to my hotel in France. Oily! 🙈

How I missed the streaks of oil everywhere?!

Edited by formerlyknownasBT
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Egg on Leggs said:

Bit of petrol on a rag will get the oil off the tyre.

Great. I have a rag. There are petrol stations in France. I'll give that a bash 😁 

I'm no expert on the subject, but I have experienced it myself over the years on my own bikes.

How I've dealt with it, is to wipe clean with a dry absorbent material (paper or cloth), and then rub some dry dirt into the rubber.

We now wait for an adult to turn up...

• Like 2

Can of brake cleaner.

I hate to put a downer on this, but are your sure you know where it is coming from?

Triumph sumps have been known to warp if removed and not correctly replaced. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

Can of brake cleaner.

I hate to put a downer on this, but are your sure you know where it is coming from?

Triumph sumps have been known to warp if removed and not correctly replaced. 

(Almost) Definitely the oil cap, as it was almost off! But, I will also check the sump. 

27 minutes ago, bogman said:

Petrol /matches

I mean, for the first time. I've really enjoyed the bike. I don't think we are in blowing it up mode just yet 😉

• Like 2

Looks like you got lucky there, could have been a lot worse! 

As said, brake cleaner or petrol on a rag 👍🏻

Good to read you're enjoying the bike! Enjoy France, it's a glorious place for motorbike riding! 😎

• Thanks 1

Petrol and rag sounds like the most sensible thing to do. Possibly followed by a burn out across the whole width of the tire.. just to make sure you have a fresh clean sticky surface :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, nampus said:

Looks like you got lucky there, could have been a lot worse! 

As said, brake cleaner or petrol on a rag 👍🏻

Good to read you're enjoying the bike! Enjoy France, it's a glorious place for motorbike riding! 😎

Yeah, I'm lucky I don't lean the bike over in corners. Only left handed corners for the rest of the trip. 

Tomorrow. Albert to Troyes. May go via Reims Grand Prix circuit. 

Day after. Ride about Troyes. 

Then Troyes back to Albert. 

And then Albert home 

• Like 2

TBH I don't like the idea of introducing yet more chemicals to the bit I really rely on most (the tyres). Hence just wiping oil off.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, formerlyknownasBT said:

Yeah, I'm lucky I don't lean the bike over in corners. Only left handed corners for the rest of the trip. 

Tomorrow. Albert to Troyes. May go via Reims Grand Prix circuit. 

Day after. Ride about Troyes. 

Then Troyes back to Albert. 

And then Albert home 

Reims is good 

27 minutes ago, Bram43 said:

@jollygiantto the I have oil on my rear tyre phone :lol:

Oh god that was a while ago!! And turned out to be operator error and MkI air tray oil breather pipe not breathing but collecting oil until is popped off and all over the back tyre which made coming out of roundabout made me look like a MotoGP god!😆

• Haha 1

Just ride the bastard, gradually leaning more from the mandatory 3 degrees off vertical you'll need to do for starters. 

My oil pressure switch blew on the 996 once which wasn't good when I first found out, but a very gentle bimble to a motorparts emporium got me a corsa replacement (it's the same switch) and I rode home just fine, gradually wearing the oil off to the edges. Gently does it eh?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, hawkati said:

gradually wearing the oil off to the edges. Gently does it eh?

I was advised to replace the tyre on my Tuono after the above, but wiped off what I could then poured petrol over it to clean some more off and rode gentled for about 50 miles and it was fine and saved me buying a tyre.

• Like 1

IMG_1986.jpeg.555af25e268f8951ef0befd82895c477.jpeg

15 hours ago, formerlyknownasBT said:

Hi,

So I had my bike serviced the other day and looks like the oil cap wasn't securely tightened. Heyho. 

I only noticed, as I've just ridden to France (staying at Albert tonight and heading to Troyes tomorrow) and noticed that I've oil on my back tyre.

I've wiped what I can off with a rag (I'm in a hotel), and obviously tightened the oil cap. Anything I need to do, just ride in as if it's a new tyre. Or do I need to get it replaced? 

For the oil, there appears to be plenty in the oil window, so I don't think I need to get that filled up. I'm only here for a few days. 

Doh. 

Looking at the odd photo I took, I can see it was leaking on the train, by this point I've already done 200 miles, plus then another 100 in France. 

There is a triumph dealership nearby in Amiens if I need to pop there. Nightmare. 

No advice regarding the tyre, but if you’re heading to Troyes, I can highly recommend Le Petite Table for food. https://www.la-petitetable.com/

Edited by Trevini
  • Like 2

Pour petrol on the tyre and the ground surrounding the rear tyre, do a massive burnout in the pool of petrol and while you're doing that flick a lit cigarette into the petrol, voila instant cool as fuck flaming burnout. 

Bonus cool points awarded for turning it into a feet up rolling burnout. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Nipped to Triumph in Amiens to have a mechanic give it the once over. 

PXL_20240913_074214939.MP

There was no issue with the amount of oil. Check. 

And I cleaned the tyre with soapy water and a rag in the morning.

PXL_20240913_061742768.MP~2

That seemed to have got rid of most, not sure the mechanic noticed any oil. The mechanic pointed me in the direction of a power washer. So went a car wash / power wash. 

PXL_20240913_075758550.MP

Saying that, I have lost a bit of confidence on the right of the tyre, so I've been taking it easy on that side. 

Managed to get to my hotel in Tanley, stopped at some, what looks like a former race track near Reims

PXL_20240913_113443118.MP

, with some nice roads nearer the hotel 🙂

PXL_20240913_155154838.MP

• Like 9

14 hours ago, formerlyknownasBT said:

That seemed to have got rid of most, not sure the mechanic noticed any oil. The mechanic pointed me in the direction of a power washer. So went a car wash / power wash. 

Saying that, I have lost a bit of confidence on the right of the tyre, so I've been taking it easy on that side. 

Managed to get to my hotel in Tanley, stopped at some, what looks like a former race track near Reims

I have a photo somewhere of my T595 at Reims

• Like 2

14 hours ago, formerlyknownasBT said:

Oil on tyre is not too much problem to sort, lack of oil in engine would be more serious. Pleased it’s sorted and won’t spoil your trip. 

Edited by marvin
  • Like 3

You're sorted now, but I was going to say, simpky find a dry dirt track and ride down there for a bit. The dust will absorb the oil and it'll just fall off when you're  back on tarmac.

Don't put petrol on your tyres, that's just daft.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Elohesra said:

You're sorted now, but I was going to say, simpky find a dry dirt track and ride down there for a bit. The dust will absorb the oil and it'll just fall off when you're  back on tarmac.

Don't put petrol on your tyres, that's just daft.

So there is still quite a bit of oil appearing despite cleaning it - Ie I cleaned the rear seats and those are minging again. The oil cap is tight, no leaks from anywhere I can see. I'm hoping it's just residual oil?! 🙁