CAN bus and some advice

CRM

Does anyone work with this stuff often and understand it ? 

I want to change the dash on the FP1 to something a little more modern and reliable LCD wise. 

I am looking at the AIM MSX 1.3 with road icons 
https://www.aimshop.com/products/aim-mxs-strada-motorcycle-dash-display-with-road-icons

Now with the loom i get a choice of CAN ECU loom or a OBD11 loom.

My existing FP1 clocks are showing this
clocks1.png

And the loom that feeds it is like this

loom1.png

So based from that, i see there are references on the clocks for CAN - but is it being used ? the ECU is an ancient Marelli system from a Citroen Saxo Rallye (i shit you not) 

Done a little bit with CAN data streams, and quite a bit with AIM.  It could be as simple as connect the dots, but the AIM Dash will have to interrogate the ECU Data stream correctly. This should all be configurable with in the AIM software, and not that difficult.

AIM have a proper UK importer these days, so would be worth dropping them a line.  Contact | AimShop.com

• Like 1

AIM have been spot on to be fair and are keen to work with me and this project.
Even gone as far  to say buy the dash and if it doesnt work out and the dash is saleable they will refund.
Cost will be a cable and some development time £400 which is spot on and cant say fairer than that.

I see a nice LCD dash on the bike before spring 2025 hopefully, if only i knew someone who could fabricate a bracket for the dash to mount to the existing setup perhaps in carbon . . . . . 

• Like 6

I'm not really seeing anything other than basic, traditional motorcycle wiring on that harness.

It's many years since I did anything with CAN wiring and it was big fuck-off ship engines and gas turbines, so not exactly comparable. That said, I'd probably expect to see some shielding and twisted pairing on the bike if there was a proper CAN system anywhere and that's highly unlikely.

If it is indeed the same basic ECU as the Saxo, surely that would just be your bog standard OBD2 shizzle?

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Damnthistinleg said:

Is the original LCD still playing up?

Yes - it had a pressure wash the other day, and then for 48h it was pretty well blank before a 4h baking in the sun returned some of the display, and then 3 days later back to normal. 

12 hours ago, Damnthistinleg said:

I'm not really seeing anything other than basic, traditional motorcycle wiring on that harness.

It's many years since I did anything with CAN wiring and it was big fuck-off ship engines and gas turbines, so not exactly comparable. That said, I'd probably expect to see some shielding and twisted pairing on the bike if there was a proper CAN system anywhere and that's highly unlikely.

If it is indeed the same basic ECU as the Saxo, surely that would just be your bog standard OBD2 shizzle?

I agree, while there may be CAN markings on the dash back - perhaps its not being used and the wires to it all are pretty standard and old brittle type. 
The Ducati's of this and later era were far less loom intensive and this bike does reek of old school 

3 minutes ago, CRM said:

Yes - it had a pressure wash the other day, and then for 48h it was pretty well blank before a 4h baking in the sun returned some of the display, and then 3 days later back to normal. 

Do you have a spare that can be stripped and rebuilt with a fuckton of conformal coating to keep the moisture out?

I don't no sadly. 
The LCD was swapped over with a new one, but the new one remained blank like it needed coding in or something to the board.

Originality is nice and all that, but i do think spunking some wedge on a modern reliable dash will make the experience even better.

Looking again at your diagram and the technical data for the AIM dash, it's just a matter of making an adaptor loom, then configuring the the analogue inputs in the dash.    As DTTL says, the can functions aren't used.  

• Like 1