Electric screwdriver recommendations

Ray Von

Any recommendations for a robust electric screwdriver, it doesn't need to do massive torque, but small and agile to do repetitive tasks. 

I have a couple of battery drills with screw bits in them, but they're too cumbersome for daily use. 

Like case screws on battery charger panels and rebuilding battery charger plugs, some sites I go to have over 300 batteries & chargers on site, after yesterday I only did rebuild on approx 20 battery plugs, but my hands are stiff and achy this morning. 

I only bought this for one specific job but I was impressed.

Electric Screwdriver Cordless Rechargeable 7.2V Battery Powered - Mini Electric Screwdriver Set with 30 Screw Bits Set, 2 Extension Drivers, Built-in Led Light - Cordless Screwdriver Set 
https://amzn.eu/d/00ySgXHb

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Endorsed by Bob Marley I see🤔

What sort of stuff do you do with it? 

How long does battery last? 

Edited by Ray Von
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Ray Von said:

If you'd read his review you'll see he sent it back because it was jamming.

😎

• Haha 11

6 minutes ago, bignige said:

If you'd read his review you'll see he sent it back because it was jamming.

😎

Oh please do fuck off😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Ray Von said:

What sort of stuff do you do with it? 

How long does battery last? 

I was repairing/ bodging 2 wooden garage windows driving in some hefty screws.

Really impressed with the torque which I know you said you didn't need 🙂

I'm on the ropes now, please buy one from Lidl. 😁

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bignige said:

Electric Screwdriver Cordless Rechargeable 7.2V Battery Powered - Mini Electric Screwdriver Set with 30 Screw Bits Set, 2 Extension Drivers, Built-in Led Light - Cordless Screwdriver Set 

Ordered.

Along with a 5ft wrecking bar that I only realised I need when I borrowed a colleague's last week.

I've got one of these in the workshop and it's pretty good.....

https://www.makitauk.com/product/df001d.html

It's quite torquey and runs at a decent rpm so it is pretty useful, although if I was buying another I'd get one with a clutch as it is mainly for the M4 stainless socket button head screws I use by the thousand and they have all the integrity of Wensleydale.

I had one years ago, it got nicked, I thought it was a crap idea, the Mrs bought it, but after using it a few times I got the idea.

This has got me looking at them again.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a little bosch one but the bit her isn't magnetic / has no mechanical lock. It's OK though not much torque, I use it for bolts when I have a lot of them or long threads - cam caps, clutch bolts, engine cases - then finish with a torque wrench 

50 minutes ago, Evilchicken0 said:

I have a little bosch one but the bit her isn't magnetic / has no mechanical lock. It's OK though not much torque, I use it for bolts when I have a lot of them or long threads - cam caps, clutch bolts, engine cases - then finish with a torque wrenc

I have one too but as EC0 says, there is not much torque.

Expect it to throw a hissy when a tough task appears.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2024 at 12:06 PM, bignige said:

I've been using mine quite frequently. It's been really handy for removing covers that are awkward to access and have stupid amounts of screws.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've got one similar to this

https://amzn.eu/d/4z66COr

except mine is about 15 years old. It's super, the battery lasts for ages, of course it won't do anything high torque but I don't need it to. Excellent for repetitive tasks, it reaches into tricky access areas well. I wouldn't be without it.

I have the Bosch Professional GSB 120 Li. Can be had for about £80 IIRC. Comes with 2x 12v Lithium batteries and a charger, so, quick to charge, lightweight, etc. lasts ages. Also has hammer action, so it's reeeaalllly handy for masonry drilling in tight spaces if needed.

I got one of these about 5 years ago , it's perfect for what I need , it starts to lock at around 7-8 nm , if you doing engine rebuilds etc where there is a lot of engine covers to do this lightly and rapidly nips them up ready for the last final tightening with a torque wrench.  Today I've been using it on k1600gt bodywork,  millions of small screws taken out and refitted without fear of stripping threads . Sure it was from Toolstation.  I've got more powerful stuff but you don't always need it 

Screenshot_20240806_202312_Bixby Vision.jpg