Have I stuffed up my radiator or cooling system?

dawnrazor

A couple of weeks ago I was in heavy city traffic, looking for an address and some place to park so I didn't have to walk too far :thumbsup: Anyway it was a reasonably warm day and as I wasn't making a lot of progress the engine temp on the bike (GSXR1000K6) got real hot before I noticed, an indicated 120 degrees on the LCD readout, and it was flashing at me :eusa_pray: I decided to take off and get some airflow going and it cooled down pretty quick I then parked up to let it cool further.

Since this I've noticed my temp readouts have been quite erratic, they will jump very quickly from say 89 to 77 degrees, which I never noticed before. On top of this the other day a wet patch appeared on the radiator and a bunch of steam came off, but it hasn't done that again, it had been wet earlier on in the day, so I'm hoping it was just caused by some trapped rain water being dropped on the rad when I took off.

So should I be worried or is it something I can just keep an eye on and if I start to noticed anything else then bring it to the shop for a looks see?

cheers

its happened to me cbr1000rr sydney .and other riders .120 is not common.when u get the warning light u need too stop bike or do what u did. my manual says 110 is a no no .

I'd certainly be looking at why your fan didn't come on first of all. 120 is hot, your fan'd probably come on at about 108-112 and take it back down to about 100.

I've had a few bikes in that had erratic temp readouts like you say and it turned out to be corroded earth terminal blocks on the loom.Used the bike through winter?

A couple of weeks ago I was in heavy city traffic, looking for an address and some place to park so I didn't have to walk too far :thumbsup: Anyway it was a reasonably warm day and as I wasn't making a lot of progress the engine temp on the bike (GSXR1000K6) got real hot before I noticed, an indicated 120 degrees on the LCD readout, and it was flashing at me :eusa_pray: I decided to take off and get some airflow going and it cooled down pretty quick I then parked up to let it cool further.

Since this I've noticed my temp readouts have been quite erratic, they will jump very quickly from say 89 to 77 degrees, which I never noticed before. On top of this the other day a wet patch appeared on the radiator and a bunch of steam came off, but it hasn't done that again, it had been wet earlier on in the day, so I'm hoping it was just caused by some trapped rain water being dropped on the rad when I took off.

So should I be worried or is it something I can just keep an eye on and if I start to noticed anything else then bring it to the shop for a looks see?

cheers

I'm not sure if the GSXR has the same feature as the 5VY onwards R1's, but on the R1 you can use the buttons on the dashboard to emulate the temperature the fan kick's in and spin the fan up to ensure the circuit and fan is working as well as showing the temperature the switch is set to some on at. Might be worth asking around to see if you can do the same on the GSXR.

I'd be inclined to take off the right fairing and check the coolant levels (radiator and reservoir). Then start it and let it run, checking when and at what temperature the thermostat opens, and continuing to run it until the fan cuts in at just over the 100 degrees. As long as the fan is cutting in and out - to maintain its temperature - you should be ok. If it can't bring it back down to below a hundred by itself, you need to look further.

Cheers folks, we're having a cold snap here at the moment so I haven't seen the temp raise above 80 all week, will whip off the fairing at the weekend and take a look and see if I can get it running hot

• 2 months later...

Well after this problem seemingly disappearing and then re-appearing, I eventually got the bike into the garage. Turns out they left the fan unplugged after the frame modification that all K5 and K6 GSXRs 1000 had to get done, suppose it could have been worse, brakes for instance....

Archived