After Eights

hawkati

On 7/19/2024 at 1:23 PM, Supercoolnothing said:

Makes me think of this..... 

Screen_Shot_2017-03-03_at_2.37.36_PM.jpg

There I was, stood in the supermarket dogfood isle, minding my own business. Masturbating furiously.

And then the murders began.

You're right!

• Haha 3

Popcorn restocked just need something to read! Please.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, lexiden said:

Popcorn restocked just need something to read! Please.

my sincere apologies - been up to eyeballs in conferences etc at work etc so life's been a bit busy - i'm painfully aware that i've only got as far as the south of france with my portimao write up as well. Derp. There will be more, soon, honest! 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

@lexiden - there ya go...

Now my mind may well be wandering a little here but I do believe the next stint could be the lonesome bit. To the point that I entertain myself with music in my head – earphones are bloody stupid in helmets because they’ve got to be so loud to surpass wind noise that you give yourself no peace at all. But with relative pitch I can gleefully summon up songs aplenty and make up my own. Which is why I’m hacking up the A6 with a mash of laurel&hardy’s lonesome pine and van halen’s happy trails. Erk.

Anyway, it’s a fairly harmless and unassuming zoop to Lancaster, which I must have a good look around one day. Aches & pains set in so much easier in slow moving traffic so I’m window shopping, looking out for useless tat to virtually buy. I remind myself of the mall scene in the blues brothers but thankfully don’t go full re-enactment. The built up area continues for far too long, beyond Carnforth to a place I refer to as twatfield – it’s not uncomfortable – I’d bunged slightly raised bars on the r1 so that’s almost a forgiving sofa compared to the ducati, but I’m beginning to feel it now, halfway through the journey, and I’m itching to just get on with it. Nige & Gary are well ahead I reckon, and I’m guessing there’s a few within range behind me since some arrived whilst I was at the pitstop. It’s not a race and I genuinely don’t care (much) about placings but the longer it goes on the more of a struggle it becomes.

Next up is Kendal  - it’s only just up  the road so to speak, but here I take an involuntary break. I pile through the town overtaking everything at evey opportunity, as usual, but then I fuel up, throw a mars bar & redbull in my face and then….just stop. The reason is a brief convo with a bike riding couple turns into a full blown joyous chat about the good things in life and the very necessary need to crack on and make the very best of every occasion. They’re so effervescent and bubbly that we chat for half an hour and I genuinely don’t realise matey has an artificial leg for a good twenty minutes – he caught me out by saying he’d gone out on a limb to visit the nurburgring and glanced down – my eyeballs follow suit, clock the metalwork and we both burst out laughing! Great couple, fine attitude.

Onwards – jaysus, I’ve time to make up now and fired with positive vibes I crack on at ludicrous speeds that the r1 so easily delivers – by far the most suited and best bike I’ve used for this event. I’ve done it quicker on the hawk but that was just a maurdery mindset propelling me faster. It all goes a bit scenic & gorgeous on the A6 skirting the lake district and I’ve got one eye on the road and another gawping at scenery and spying lambits on the hills. Penrith, which I know too well from the many  castle excursions, then northwards again to Carlisle, which is too big. I set myself a task of getting through in fifteen minutes by fair means or foul, glancing at the analogue clock I have on the bars ( it’s running slow dammit) – just a merciless hack through traffic and I probably didn’t win any friends during that blast.  Nevermind eh?

Dogleg to Gretna green, stop, get married, carry on.

A75 to Dumfires then A76 up to Kilmarnock – a few dull bypasses but some pleasant twisteries as well though significant hills to gaze at – love to have a proper look & go walkies there one day. Propelling forwards from every bend, junction and roundabout, the r1 gearbox is an effortless delight – I’m only using the clutch lever to get rolling then clutchless both up & down the box – wind the throttle on, apply the slightest pressure on the gear lever and the microsecond you ease the throttle a fraction it snicks into the next gear. Blipping and setting throttle correctly makes for easy downchanges as well – my left hand thanks me.

I’ve not seen any other contender in front or behind so it takes a bit of a mindset to keep up the pressure and speed – there’s a ferry to be caught. I stop for fuel at Skelmorlie, essential for getting to Fort William, and crack on. I’m on the coast, thoroughly enjoying the views of the sea and mountains in the distance and there’s the ferry – it’s not far from Gourock and I seriously have to wind it on to arrive at the same time. I do! Swiftly into the pits and the first thing I ask is how long till I have to get on board?  There’s just enough time for a good chat with forum members & stangers alike , shove food & drink in face and on I go. I find time to relax for once, make a broef vid and take a few pics…..I’ve got to savour this half hour of respite.

20240620_185521

20240620_190116

20240620_190133

20240620_190300

20240620_190603

20240620_190740

Edited by hawkati
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Lovely read thanks honey. 

• Thanks 1

Just to merely "like" your posts in this thread seems pitiful.

James, you're a super human superhuman.

• Haha 1

It's like proper journalism.

1 hour ago, blow_away said:

Just to merely "like" your posts in this thread seems pitiful.

James, you're a super human superhuman.

Yeah, nah - you know me for the wreck I am...😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Johnno said:

It's like proper journalism.

I know- I ought to be reporting on current affairs...

<eyeballs dumb rioters>

"Oooh goody - snacks"🦇

Proper journalsim = off into the field with a 35mm camera to record experiences.

NOT!!!  At a desk in a suit jacket but underpants under the desk spouting the corparate line.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Johnno said:

Proper journalsim = off into the field with a 35mm camera to record experiences.

NOT!!!  At a desk in a suit jacket but underpants under the desk spouting the corparate line.

Ah - you're spying on me at work eh?