ducati 848 speed 36 error code

riversbikes

Hey all,

When I bought my used 2008 848 last fall, it had the amber light and the speed 36 error code.  I tried replacing the sensor with a used one (I know), and cleared the trouble code.  Went to try it again, and the speedo still doesn't work and the amber light is back on.  I've ordered a new sensor from Gotham Cycles, and dissected the new/used one and found no obvious issues with the wiring -- stripped the housing and checked the length of the wires, and no issues that I could see.

IF the replacement hall sensor/speedo sensor doesn't fix the problem, googling this problem (which seems to have first cropped up in 2009), has revealed some options:

1.  Issue with the wiring harness.  Yikes!  I'd rather not replace the harness, or go through a million wires trying to find an issue or a short.

2.  Issue with the ECU and map -- this bike has a termi map installed  prior to my purchase (flashes "racing 848 on startup") as it has a set of termi slip ons.  A few random posts over the last decade or so talk about guys/gals reflashing or reinstalling the OEM base map and getting their speedo back.  I'm in the middle of nowhere, so reinstalling the base map isn't an easy option for me!

3.  Issue with the dash.

4.  Hardware issue -- I've cleaned the new/used hall sensor and the buttons on the rotor -- it's OEM rear rotor.  The gap between the hall sensor and the rotor buttons is ~2mm, which is within the range I've seen online.  I have a service manual, and have pored through the 600+ pages and see very little information about servicing the speedo sensor.

Any advice that has come to the fore in the last decade and a half?  Order of operation to tackle above?  I hope the new sensor will cure the problem, but I've been wrenching on bikes long enough to assume it is necessarily that simple...

The evidence above suggests that it might be the map, but without knowing more about what the actual map is, you can't really say, can you?

Hopefully, I'm completely incorrect, but it does make sense that if a map is called "race", then no speedometer is needed.

👆 this makes sense

Do you know anyone with an ECU with a standard map you could swap over and test? If that cures it and the only thing that’s changed then it all points to the map. 

• 2 weeks later...

As I suspected, a brand new speedo cable sensor did not cure the issue with the non-op speedometer.  Any ideas as to next steps?  The termi map shouldn't be the issue, as the speedometer is still supposed to work regardless...?

• 1 month later...

I replaced the entire loom with another 848 wiring harness. Again, everything else works, but still a speedo error -- simply reads zero. I've removed the thin shim from the sensor, cleaned off the brake rotor buttons already. Next steps -- dash?? ECU??

The replacement harness wasn't too expensive, and it only took me a few hours to swap the old one out for this one. Any ideas would be appreciated! Bike runs great otherwise.

• Sad 2

if the speed sensor isn't on the piss and the wiring is okay all the way into the ecu then it's possible the ecu isn't reading it. Another way of checking the speed sensor is swapping the front to the rear and seeing if that works okay? I did that on mine because the speedo went mad recently, and i don't use traction control at all so didn't care about removing the front sensor

It's a 2008, so it only has the rear speed sensor.  Unfortunately, I'm in the middle of nowhere in Canada, so no other 848s nearby to swap out ECUs.

On 6/12/2024 at 1:19 PM, riversbikes said:

As I suspected, a brand new speedo cable sensor did not cure the issue with the non-op speedometer.  Any ideas as to next steps?  The termi map shouldn't be the issue, as the speedometer is still supposed to work regardless...?

I had a Termi map on my 1198s to go with the 70 mm system. Bike has done 53.8 K and no speedo issues. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, svingel said:

I had a Termi map on my 1198s to go with the 70 mm system. Bike has done 53.8 K and no speedo issues. 

jaysus - i need to get some serious miles in to catch up:D

2 hours ago, hawkati said:

jaysus - i need to get some serious miles in to catch up:D

Los fahren Muttificker😅

• Haha 2