Fork Oil

uralboo

Hello Uber intelligent folks,

I've posted before about me ol' CZ. I'm about to change the fork seals, but I think that the fork oil has been in there for 30yrs! I'm a big guy (about 20stone and 6'3"). What sort of weight oil should I be looking at? The springs I'm getting fairly shortly, and will be stiffer than standard ones (from a CZ supplier) he did'nt really know much about suspension set up.

Any help would be a benefit guys (I'm hearing 15W from people, but will I need to go heavier?)

Regards

Ural Boo :tacheemoticonwh7:

Hello Uber intelligent folks,

I've posted before about me ol' CZ. I'm about to change the fork seals, but I think that the fork oil has been in there for 30yrs! I'm a big guy (about 20stone and 6'3"). What sort of weight oil should I be looking at? The springs I'm getting fairly shortly, and will be stiffer than standard ones (from a CZ supplier) he did'nt really know much about suspension set up.

Any help would be a benefit guys (I'm hearing 15W from people, but will I need to go heavier?)

Regards

Ural Boo :eusa_dance:

15w or 20w will be OK...

i second that or just buy another bike ?

just a thought?

;)

Best of luck with that :D

I've never done oil change in the forks before. Is it going to be a b**ch of a job to do? Treacle like and impossible to remove? Thanks for the heads up about the weights guys. I'll go for 20w as I think it will have to work hard when stopping etc with a chap of my 'girth'. So as it heats it will become thinner.

And as for getting another bike, hmmm. I had a 2 stroke kawasaki crosser years ago, and enjoyed it. I would love a 2 stroke NSR 250 or maybe a Gamma, but funds allow only a czech bike at the moment. Once I get the hang of power bands again, and riding hard (lol), I'll probably save and get a sportier duo tempi.

Antoher thought. I have been looking on line at turbo'ing a 2 stroke. It is very popular in karting. I cannot help thinking that all of the 2 stroke oil would kill a turbo (in the exhaust). I'm reading a book about forced induction, and the chap who wrote it, is saying that a hybrid setup of a suck through supercharger, in collaboration with a turbo is the way to go wqith 2 strokes. At which point my mind exploded.

How would that work????

Anyone here ever forced induction into a two stroke?

The oil itself shouldnt be a problem its any threads that have been unmoved for 30 years then they might take some persuasion. As for forced induction the yanks love doing it to Yamaha Banshee quads (the motor is almost identical to an RD350YPVS just with different gear ratios). Also you could have a look on the yamaha rd forum www.yamaha-rd.com because there is a guy on there from Sweden with a home grown turbo/injection setup using a turbo from a saab 900 if I remember correctly and some aftermarket throttle bodies from a Triumph 955 motor and a home grown expansion chamber shaped boost bottle. Looks quite the weapon!

Archived