SP1 Hydraulic Clutch

Rainer

Probably a stupid question, but as I'm new to hydraulic clutch operation it needs asking.

To get the front sprocket cover off I need to remove the clutch actuator. I'm 99% sure this will be a sealed unit, but would like some reassurance before I go and make an easy job hard.

Cheers

Yes it is, just remember not to pull the clutch lever when its out otherwise it may pop the piston out.

Cool. Just what I wanted to hear.

Thanks for that :blush:

It will be one of those moments, the same as when removing a front wheel......someone WILL feel the need to pump the lever........

It will be one of those moments, the same as when removing a front wheel......someone WILL feel the need to pump the lever........

I know that feeling! whenever I've removed a wheel - especially the front - I can only just stop myself from squeezing the lever.

it's the 'don't push the big red button' syndrome. Because you know you shouldn't, you want to....

so I stick a roll of gaffer tape between the handlebar and the brake lever, just in case

I put a cable tie around the slave cylinder keeping the piston where it was just in case of one of those brain fade moments where I might have squeezed the lever.

To get the front sprocket cover off I need to remove the clutch actuator.

Cheers

Pfft - Japanese rubbish! No such problems on my Mille :eusa_dance:

No idea about the specifics of the SP-1, but one general word of advice though: if there happen to be any gaskets or spacer plates that live behind the clutch slave/sprocket cover, don't forget to refit them before you refit the clutch slave and torque up the bolts. Otherwise you may find yourself needing to replace the clutch pushrod oil seal :eusa_dance:

RFTR,

Matt ;)

• 3 weeks later...

If you do push the lever in, you can easily push the piston back in with your thumbs. :eusa_think:

Be aware though, if you push too hard the oil will vent to the other caliper rather than the res.

Same with the clutch......pushing no problem, not the fluid going to the brakes!! :eusa_think:

Archived