GSXR and TREs

dawnrazor

This is the second GSXR I've owned , the first was a K4 600 - I popped a TRE (Timing Retard Eliminator) in it and was quite surprised by just how much of a difference the bike felt at low rpm in low gears, a lot freer feeling and certainly more lively. On this experience I recently popped a Healtech XTRE into my K6 1000 and for the most part I can report a similiar result, although perhaps not quite so obvious, maybe its a bit quicker off the lights, maybe I want to convince myself this is the case. Apparently my top speed limiter has been removed also, fat chance of finding out if this is the case.

Anyways, it was a bit of fun putting it in and wasted an afternoon nicely

What do you guys think about the whole TRE thing, I know a PCIII would have been a better option, but funds won't stretch to that kinda thing especially considering I'd want a new pipe, filter and dyno if I was going that road ;)

A PCIII and TRE do different things. The PCIII sorts out the fuelling and doesn't know what geat the bike is in. It sets the changes accross the whole map and makes the same changes in every gear. The TRE works round the different gearing maps the manufacturer uses and puts the ignition into the map which is known to produce the most power. That is why the gear selector display only shows one gear as it fools the mapping into thinking it is in that gear. So the TRE doesn't make the bike produce MORE power overall but it does produce more power where the engine is being held back. The Power commander will help produce more power so to get the best results you can use both. The 600 I built has not had a TRE fitted as the power curve is quite pronounced and in the lower gears the power curve and lack of secondary butterflies in the throttle bodies make it a handful anyway so havine the edge dulled off the power actually helps.

Archived