Cagiva Mito Petrol Tank

cagimaha

Just wanting to know if the mito evolution has a vaccuum petrol tap? with the hose disconnected and the tap in the "on" position the fuel comes out for a couple of seconds then slows to a trickle. I thought if it was a vaccuum tap then none would come out? Is the tap fubar or is a it a vaccuum one. Any help much appreciated. Cheers, Ben.

What's the tap look like? If it's a vacuum there'll be another hose outlet on the back of the tap, for you to take a hose over to your carbs. If it's just a normal tap then you'll just have the outlet, nothing else. Often, but not always, on vaccum type taps there's a 'prime' setting, which essentially stops the vacuum bit having an effect, so you can fill your carbs etc.

The tap is embedded in the tank and has just "on" and "off" positions which is what has puzzled me. There is 2 outlets on the bottom of the tank, one is a heowge 10mm one (well its big for a 125) which is the fuel outlet and there is another 8mm one which I assumed was a breather cos I couldnt find one in the filler cap but I'm now suspecting that what I thought was a breather is actually a vacuum feed...

smaller one is either a vacuum feed or simply an overflow.

Right I'll nip out to the shed to have a go at simulating a vacuum on the other spigot and see if that lets the fuel flow properly. If not it looks like I'm taking the tap apart. The tank isnt brill anyways cos its weeping slightly at the front. Thanks for the input, Ben.

The tank dosent have a reserve its got a fuel light on the dash instead. Basically somethings wrong somewhere so either my tap is fubar or the diaphragm for the vacuum system aint working. More investigation required!

maybe 1 is the reserve

A reserve tap would use the same outlet as the normal outlet, it just takes the fuel from lower down within the tank, ie there's 2 inlets, just 1 out.

I'd strip the tap and see what's what in there. Often there's a small filter in there with a bit of gauze or something to stop clumps of rust etc going through. See if the whole thing's not clumped right up, which if the tank's seeping a bit, could well be the case. Also, if the extra hose bit is an overflow, you'll probably find that if you flip the tank on its back when there's petrol in there, when you put it back upright you'll get a cup or so of fuel out of it.

• 2 weeks later...
The tap is embedded in the tank and has just "on" and "off" positions which is what has puzzled me. There is 2 outlets on the bottom of the tank, one is a heowge 10mm one (well its big for a 125) which is the fuel outlet and there is another 8mm one which I assumed was a breather cos I couldnt find one in the filler cap but I'm now suspecting that what I thought was a breather is actually a vacuum feed...

the big one is the fuel outlet, and the smaller one is for overflow/water drainage.. i'm working on the tank now, and i can snap a pic or 2 if u want :eusa_whistle:

I got it sorted in the end, the tap was full of gummed up shite and the little breather at the front (the big allen key thing with a reed valve in it) was also clogged up. The bike is off the road again at the moment though due to a twisted crank so I havent managed to test it properly yet. I'll let you know when I do. Thanks for all the help, Ben.

Archived