17 inch fireblade wheel conversion questions..

zx6rrob

Ayup, i`ve got meself a 99 RRW fireblade,and I`m wanting a 17 inch front wheel to go in it.

So then,what wheels best?

VFR? Pre v-tec? V-tec? 800? 750?

help purlease!!!

Rob.

Ayup, i`ve got meself a 99 RRW fireblade,and I`m wanting a 17 inch front wheel to go in it.

So then,what wheels best?

VFR? Pre v-tec? V-tec? 800? 750?

help purlease!!!

Rob.

If I remember rightly it was only the very early Blades that had the speedo driven from the front wheel, so yours shouldn't be ( hope I'm not teaching my granny to suck eggs here :icon_puke_r: ). The last of the VFR 750 wheels should fit fine, don't know about the others though, sorry.

Not sure I was very helpful really.... :pbtwerplr3:

Phlik

Edit: I think a CBR6 front wheel from late 95 ish (version with floating discs, previously they were fixed disc/floating caliper) onwards should fit too......maybe.......

Do a search in the projects bit, or maybe the workshop tutorials, there was a guy who had to do a fair few mods to his front wheel to get a 17" to fit, but after that people listed wheels that swap and for what year of blade etc. From memory, any VFR800 and maybe firestorms too I think.

This is kind of interesting as the current trend in MOTO GP if or either 16.5 or 16" wheels..... However we all know that the oiginal blade is better with the 17"

VFR NC30..... straight swap I beleive.......

SteveT

RHRC

This is kind of interesting as the current trend in MOTO GP if or either 16.5 or 16" wheels..... However we all know that the oiginal blade is better with the 17"

VFR NC30..... straight swap I beleive.......

SteveT

RHRC

An NC30 isn't a straight swap on the later blades, anything after about '96 is a bit different.

Lovely job,cheers peeps.

Now then,where can I get some suitable stainless for machining them up myself?

(I`m gonna wuss out and send the wheel off to get it done properly,fuck ruining a perfectly good wheel with my cack handed skillz..)

rob.

p.s. does that look like stainless spacers he`s had made up??

aluminium spacers would be fine, they're only under compression, they don't do any of the spinning business.

aluminium spacers would be fine, they're only under compression, they don't do any of the spinning business.

Would they not corrode like fuck?

Suppose I could get them anodised...but thats just more expense,and aggro.. :eusa_dance:

Would they not corrode like fuck?

Suppose I could get them anodised...but thats just more expense,and aggro.. :eusa_dance:

Well the outer surface of it might corrode a bit, but there's always hammerite if you're fussy. I mentioned aluminium because it's lighter, easier to machine and the strength difference is irrelevant for what you're using it for. What are the ones in there at the moment made of? Never thought about it, but I bet it's untreated steel of some kind, just because it's cheap. You should try making some from stone, granite perhaps. That'd last plenty, just clean the moss off it once a decade.

Well the outer surface of it might corrode a bit, but there's always hammerite if you're fussy. I mentioned aluminium because it's lighter, easier to machine and the strength difference is irrelevant for what you're using it for. What are the ones in there at the moment made of? Never thought about it, but I bet it's untreated steel of some kind, just because it's cheap. You should try making some from stone, granite perhaps. That'd last plenty, just clean the moss off it once a decade.

What about spam? Surely if I put it in the fridge for a bit it will firm up nicely allowing me to accurately sculpt my spacers to within exacting tolerances?

Spam, its the engineering future.

Good point. Keep the tins in case you buy an NR at some point too, spare pistons.

I've been experimenting with finest engineering cheese of late. Some heavy pure aluminium plate turned up, which looked useful until I found that you can't tap holes in it and if you put a hole saw through it, it takes forever and pretty much just spreads more than cuts. Lovvvverly for welding though. :eusa_think:

Hi Rob

Im brand new to the forum (did have an account long ago but forgot all details so re registered)

I have a 1999 blade as well and the fork spacing on ours is slightly different to earlier blades and this does make the 17inch wheel conversion slightly harder.

Theres a blade forum called rrzone (i think) and they have a few threads there explaining the differences. Basically earlier models were simply a bolt in job and ours need more work!

Matt

If you want some spacers made up in either stainless steel, aluminium, or mild steel give me a pm

Paul

but only if you know the dimensions!

my mate did this conversion on his 96 bade with an old cbr 600 5 spoke wheel worked a treat

my mate did this conversion on his 96 bade with an old cbr 600 5 spoke wheel worked a treat

Archived