My rear tyre has gear oil completely soaked into it. I don't want to die.

laurie

Hi gang,

Due to a mega stupid fuck up (gasket wasn't on properly), my gearbox has been leaking oil, which dripped down onto the underbelly fairing, which (with assistance of mr wind), flew up onto my wheel. And i'm talking some serious oiling up here... I only got about 300cc out of the gearbox when i replaced the gasket today... i think a fair amount of that has now set up camp on the LHS of my rear tyre.

I have cleaned the tyre, mutliple times, with both muck off and swarfega, given it a good scrub! the rubber seems to be nice and grippy again, so the surface oil feels like its gone... but i think its seeped into the tyre good n proper.

The tyre is glossy as fook now, and that scares me, to the extent that for the whole first 10 minutes of the super ride out i had today, i was fairly worried... Thank god for my memory of a goldfish.

So i've learnt two things today,

1- gearoil really can fuck your tyre up.

2- the awesome bt090's still lean quite a good bit without the slightest complaint, even when their doused in oil.

By tomorrow, i'm hoping someone will have told me how to get this shit out, because its a £110 tyre, and i have just had a career change in the last few weeks, which means no money, which means that MY life is in YOUR hands, cos i sure as shit aint buying a new tyre when this one hasn't even done 500 miles.

Thanks in advance, your ever-in-need nut of a bike noob,

Laurie.

Ive used basic cellulose thinners to get rid of surface oil from a tyre before, and that worked a treat - god knows bout it if its soaked right into the rubber though :rolleyes:

By tomorrow, i'm hoping someone will have told me how to get this shit out, because its a £110 tyre, and i have just had a career change in the last few weeks, which means no money, which means that MY life is in YOUR hands, cos i sure as shit aint buying a new tyre when this one hasn't even done 500 miles.

I can't say whether or not you can get it out and make it perfectly safe. Because I don't know.

BUT. IF it can't be made safe, £110 is fuck all to spend in comparison to replacing the bike and/or most of your limbs.

I had a towing pin pierce the sump on my Daytona 955i after I rode over it and flicked it up with the front wheel.

It dropped all it's oil in about 3 seconds and most of it went on the Pirelli Diablo that had been fitted at the previous service, less than 500 miles earlier...

After slithering to a halt and getting the bike recovered I changed the tyre when the sump cover was replaced as I took the same mikndset as MDB929 - "Is the saving on a new tyre worth risking injury if the tyre's grip has been compromised by the oil?"

Dave

Is there a difference between "water proof" and "oil proof"???

A tyre get wet all the time and is still rideable. If the oil has been scrubbed of wouldn't just taking it easy for a few hundred miles get rid off any remaining oil. Like getting rid of the releasing agent on a new tyre.

With saying this I have read in 'DiRE' magazine that one of the staffers replacing both tyres straight away after riding through a massive puddle of oil.

Personally like you I would have tried to sort it out and if that didn't work I'd rather fork out for a new tyre than faring, cases, left tib and fib and femur,leathers, lid etc...

It may piss you off having to fork out for a new tyre when that ones ok but do a HUGE burnout and loads of donuts before you change it :thumbsup: and it wont seem too bad then :thumbsup:

Oh Want to see picks of them too :thumbsup:

I have a slightly different view, the oil would have to be pretty aggressive stuff to melt a tyre and if they were that delicate then the stuff that is on the roads would ruin tyres in weeks.

The oil may have polluted the surface but would not have penetrated. If I was in your position I would wipe the surface over with a petrol wetted rag and take it easy for 50 miles.

I'd imagine that at a decent speed anything that's been soaked in to the tyre (not that rubber's especially absorbant) would be wrung out by the gyroscopic force of the spinning. You need to go as fast as you can, that'll sort it out.

I've had oil-soaked tyres more than once- more often than not filling the bike up after a service without putting the f***ing sump plug back in.....

Last week it was the filler tube coming off an oil bottle when I was filling up the Scottoiler.

In all cases I washed the tyre with detergent and warm water, and rode away without so much as a wiggle.

EDIT FOR ARSE-COVERING: Your mileage may vary!

I'm not sure if its just in my head... but i think i'm occasionally feeling the rear ever-so-slightly slipping out, but only sometimes. It just felt a bit awry last night, even though the tyre was pretty warm. But the day before, i went out for an absolute hoon, and giving it the b34ns coming out of lots of left corners, felt proper planted. ooo err :/

Had oil get onto a tyre once on my R1. It was running a well used Bridgstone bt-002 and some oil leaking out of my clutch case and splashed the right hand edge of my tyre. Once I noticed and sorted the leak I didn't want to replace the new tyre so washed it down with detergent and water. Tyre looked alright and road around on it for a few days, was fine. Then one warm sunny day I am going a little faster having warmed the tyres up a bit and tip in to a corner I've taken a million times before, then all of sudden my rear end lets go on me so quickly (not on the gas yet) that I'm on the deck before I even know whats going on. Having picked myself and the bike up off the tarmac with some minor scratching and damage to me and the bike I notice the a distinct sheen now showing on the rear tyre on the right hand side. It appears that the oil had soaked in and only began to show itself when the rubber heated up and began to weep out. Luckily no lasting damge but the cost of repairs was far higher than the cost of a new tyre. Moral of the story is, change the tyre if in doubt, it ain't worth the risk.

as soon as the oil has got onto the tyre .thats the best time to clean . straight away .if left on tyre over time your tyre is fucked . dont risk it . how long was the left on tyre???????????

Archived