R1 2000 Radiator Fan

rndnick

Getting my Scottoiler to work the other day, I had the bike idling for a little while, temp gauge got upto 99 degrees before I switched it off and the rad fan didnt come on. Anyone know what temperature should it come on? The bike is not overheating whilst riding so theres not a problem with the rest of cooling system, I just think the fan may not be working. I checked the fuses, they all are fine. Any ideas where to look next?

Getting my Scottoiler to work the other day, I had the bike idling for a little while, temp gauge got upto 99 degrees before I switched it off and the rad fan didnt come on. Anyone know what temperature should it come on? The bike is not overheating whilst riding so theres not a problem with the rest of cooling system, I just think the fan may not be working. I checked the fuses, they all are fine. Any ideas where to look next?

Panic ye not!!

early [carbed] model R1's have a fan cut-in between 104-108 degrees. Once the fan cuts in, it will switch off again somewhere around 97 degrees.

so to check if the fan is working, let it idle at a standstill until the temp increases to 104 degrees. The fan on mine ['99 4xv] usually comes on at 104deg exactly but sometime it gets up to 106/107degs before it cuts in.]

if it hasn't come on by 108-110 degs, then you have a problem and need to check your fan/wiring.

PS There is a slight difference between the 4xv and 5jj models in how the fan & temp sender are controlled, the wiring is very slighty different between the 2 models but the operation of the fan is the same.

HTH

Wow! That's kinda hot. I was getting worried when it got to 99, didnt think it would go all the way to 104! Thanks for the info though, little less worried now when its get's hot.

Remember, you're not thinking about the boiling point of water like it'd be in your kettle, it's coolant which brings the boiling point up some, then under pressure, which raises it up a bit more still.

make sure the fan spins the correct way, this stumped a great mechanic about me cbr, fan was a hot air pusher fan, instead of sucker fan, as somewhere along the line the fan got wired in backwards.

Archived