dash or rev counter?

heds954

I'm looking for a book by a J.R.Hartley, it's about fly fishing you see...

Ok, it's not a book about fly fishing but a race dash or rev counter and temp gauge that I'm after for my track bike. There's a bewildering range to choose from and I don't know where to start or what to choose, so out of Translogic, Acewell, Scitsu, Vapor, Veypour or Elliot is there any I should look for, any that I should steer clear of or any other makes that I should be looking at and more importantly does anyone have of the above that they're selling?

Ta

Heds

I've got an SPA unit on my Katana, british made and very nice simply design but packed with lots of features.

Tell me more No.6, specs, prices, where to get it from... ta ^_^

Heres mine, the lcd display on mine is the speedo but they do a version that does temp. The three small lights are shift lights when the bike is moving but double as idiot lights at a standstill the it also measures 0-60 and quarter mile times, the other nice feature is the needle changes colour at your shift points and flashes red if you go over your limit. Comes with full fitting instructions and wiring loom.

http://www.spa-uk.co.uk/design/tachometers/

DSC_0005-4.jpg

I've got a scitsu sat i my garage waiting to go on my race bike. Very simple. Quite fancy something a bit trick that would record more data

A big up for SPA from me as well...top pieces of kit and after sales service is pretty good as well.

Their prices are a little too salty for my liking...

...and their website is utter shite and is doing them a great disservice

Quite fancy something a bit trick that would record more data

Don't bother, you'll only use it 4 times and then it'll be back to being just a tacho and speedo.

They may well be, but you mentioned Translogic in your original post and Translogic kit is shite and more expensive than SPA's.

How much do you want so spend then?

No you're quite right, I did mention Translogic, but that's because I have a tendancy to buy secondhand as I'm a tightwad. Realistically my budget is approx £100-150ish it has to have a good visible rev counter and a temp gauge, a couple of idiot lights wouldn't go amiss neither would the capability of upgrading and or it being easily moved from bike to bike if needed.

During the Katana build I looked at all sorts from bicycle speedos at 50 quid upto 3,500 for some really exotic stuff (just looking honest) and at the end of the day it was a toss up between the Translogic at £400 and the SPA, on an aircooled bike I really didn't need all the features the translogic offers so I went for the Spa unit and I am really pleased with it. As someone said their after sales service is excellent, the Monday before the photoshoot I fried mine fucking about with the wiring so I drove up there that day and they fixed it while I had a sleep in the car.

In your price range your looking at Acewell or Vapor (not to be confused with Veypor) I guess.

During the Katana build I looked at all sorts from bicycle speedos at 50 quid upto 3,500 for some really exotic stuff (just looking honest) and at the end of the day it was a toss up between the Translogic at £400 and the SPA, on an aircooled bike I really didn't need all the features the translogic offers so I went for the Spa unit and I am really pleased with it. As someone said their after sales service is excellent, the Monday before the photoshoot I fried mine fucking about with the wiring so I drove up there that day and they fixed it while I had a sleep in the car.

In your price range your looking at Acewell or Vapor (not to be confused with Veypor) I guess.

I really can't justify spending £250-300 on a dash, I wouldn't need or use half the things available on some of them. What ever I choose has to be easy to install, light, easy to use, easy to read at a glance without having to squint, and value for money*

So, given my price range, should I entertain a good old fashioned Scitsu, or should I plump for an Acewell or a Vapor (BTW what's wrong with the Veypour?) what would you do?

*cheap-ish!

There's nothing wrong with the Veypor but it is out of your price range, if all you need is a rev counter then go for Scitsu.

I've seen Racelogic units go for 150ish so if you want more features and you are prepared to wait I'm sure one will come along.

I'm not a fan of the Acewell units based purely on aesthetics so would go for the Vapor if it was a toss up between the two.

Heds, on my VFR I ended up with a 2nd hand elliot tacho and a £10 sigma bicycle speedo. I then spent about £3 at maplins and bought some LED and a little plastic box to fit them into and made idiot lights for it too. The whole lot cost me about £50, plus a bit of time making things to hold it all together. The tacho was spot on and the speedo was within 0.5mph in comparison to my sat nav up to about 120. Cheap and accurate is a good combo.

PS. If you do your own LED's go high intensity on all but the main beam: when it's dark and the light's on for a long time you'll get that blindness thing that welders have.

I really can't justify spending £250-300 on a dash, I wouldn't need or use half the things available on some of them. What ever I choose has to be easy to install, light, easy to use, easy to read at a glance without having to squint, and value for money*

Unfortunately I seem to find it easy to justify this sort of thing, but I shouldn't really.

Anyone had experience with the AIM Sport stuff? Looks trick...

Or alternatives that are all digital -lcd tacho and speedo?

I do like the Kat clocks too though.

I used to be an AIM support technician in BSB and used various mychron dashes on my own race bikes.

Good kit....instructions aren't as comprehensive as they could be...they release software updates a little too early sometimes...don't believe anything that comes from AIM and is described as "..plug and play.." 'cos it aint!

Excellent. When I part with some hard earned....I'll PM you!

PS. If you do your own LED's go high intensity on all but the main beam: when it's dark and the light's on for a long time you'll get that blindness thing that welders have.

It's a track bike with a daytime MOT so fortunately I don't have to worry about that.

eBay search terms are now save :icon_salut:

Hey Heds, did your trackbike have any existing clocks?

I will need a rev counter and a temp gauge for mine (If I ever get the bastard to start that is :shock: )

Hey Heds, did your trackbike have any existing clocks?

I will need a rev counter and a temp gauge for mine (If I ever get the bastard to start that is :o )

I'll attempt to get my digit out and PM you a piccy :thumbsup:

Archived