Thinking of buying a tyre changer...

CHR1

Tyre changing gear could be a good idea for a group buy. I used to have a Nissan 200sx turbo and because there were a large number of us on the forum chasing the same parts, we used to get really good discounts by getting together and ordering 10, 20 or more of the same thing at once. Wonder what price we could negotiate on say bead breakers and balancers if we could get ten or more people together who wanted them. Also, maybe we could arrange to reduce the postage costs by gettting them all sent together to one person for distribution at a later track day or something.

I'd love to be in on the deal, but at the moment am feeling a bit too poor!

I must be old fashioned, but I just get the bloke that I buy the tyres from to fit them for nothing.

Saves a whole world of fannying about.

You get nothing for free in this world

The tyre changing cost is included in the price of the tyre

Sourcing tyres mail order / internet and fittign them yourself allows you to buy the tyres at the cheapest prices

After changing my own tyres for the first time a few eeks ago, i would say that it saves a hell of a lot of effort to get a bead breaker. Took me and a mate about 20 mins per tyre to break the bead using tyre levers. By the time it came to getting the new tyres on the rims, we were both knackerd!

To get the tyres on, you need a minimu of 2 long levers, and 2 short levers. Also a mate would help as it make the job so much easier.

Oh, and i got a 5 gallon tub of tyre soap for a fiver from Busters. It helps a lot. :thumbsup:

But, when we'd done it, the sense of satisfaction that i got from saving £20* quid and not having to pay someone else to do it was immense

*although i had to shell out £30 for the levers and soap.

If you think you need two long levers then you're doing it wrong

Your technique needs some improvment

It should not be difficult - if it is then you're doing it wrong, and it most def does not require breakingin to a sweat

I put mine on with a rubber mallet and 2 8" levers

You get nothing for free in this world

The tyre changing cost is included in the price of the tyre

Sourcing tyres mail order / internet and fittign them yourself allows you to buy the tyres at the cheapest prices

If you think you need two long levers then you're doing it wrong

Your technique needs some improvment

It should not be difficult - if it is then you're doing it wrong, and it most def does not require breakingin to a sweat

I put mine on with a rubber mallet and 2 8" levers

bearing in mind it was the first time i'd ever changed my own tyres.

I'd actually quite like to know how to make it easier, it was a bit of a struggle when we did it. How do you fit yours?

Well, if was your first time, then congratulations on job well done

It will get easier with practice

The secret is to make sure the opposite side of the tyre is down in the well of the wheel, and to use the rubber mallet to keep bashing the tyre into the well as far round as poss.

They have a habit of coming out.

As I said, if your struggling, then the technique is wrong

Take a step back and see why it has become hard to get on, and whack that opposite side into the well of the wheel again.

There is enough diameterical clearance if the bead of the tyre is in the wheel well, for the other side of the tyre to slip over the rim without much effort.

8" levers are plenty long enough - most times I just use the mallet to ease it over the rim

Hardest tyres I have ever fitted are the 140/60's to my supermoto as per my avatar

The side wall of these tyres is so small and stiff it defies belief, and where as most tyres pop out the bead at 40 - 50psi, these bastards take anything upto 100psi to make the bead seat on the rim correctly.

I actually hate doing them now!

Archived