Valve clearance question...

CHR1

Got a question re valve clearances...

Got 2 bikes with shims, (2 with tappets): the R1- maintainance schedule says check shims every 26K miles and the GS500- says check every 4k. Just wondering if I need to be checking the GS valves so often? I always thought the advantage of shims over tappets was they didn't need checking so often (as with the R1.) Can I get away with, say every 8k on the GS? A mate told me that with shims the gap gets smaller and with tappets the gap gets bigger. Apparently if the gap gets to zero you risk burning out an exhaust valve as the valve doesn't actually close when it should. Anyone know if this is true? I'm not adverse to spannering but can't be arsed checking the gs valves so often if not necessary! Cheers for any info. :eusa_whistle:

I'd check 'em as specified...it'll kill the GS otherwise. Big Yams have always had big valve clearance intervals, Suzukis usually had some of the shortest.

check them at 4 and then at 4 again.

no change?

move to 8!

change the oil twice as often as what the manual says.

works for me, my 2p.

Thanks for the info. Yup, I rekon if they don't seem to be changing I'll go with every 8k. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that Suzuki have been making the GS motor since the 70s and just havn't updated service intervals as manufacturing processes etc have improved over the years. As to oil changes: I'll stick with the advised 4k interval as I'm feeding all my bikes fully synthetic oil so it should last the pace! Thanks again. :eusa_whistle:

Have to say I've been enjoying the GS. Apparently the motors are bullet proof + it revs to 11k. I've junked a load of weight fitted a race pipe off a crf mxer, sticky tires and been grinding various bits on twisty roads. It gets a bit squirily cornering above 70 tho- the forks look like something youd fit to a mountain bike and the front brake fades to fu** all. Great thru town too + if I chuck it down the road I won't care.

Archived