whats this on my R1

fastfox

Hi peeps.

Whilst cleaning my bike yesterday, i came accross a tube tied up with a cable tie.

Its on the back of the crank case at the same hight as the top of rear shock.

Never seen it on any other bikes. Its a brand new bike so, dispite it looking like a quick bodge job, it must of came from the factory like this.

Its too thin to be a breather (i think) but i cant think of any wire harnes that would be secured there.

Anyone any idea what it is?

Hi peeps.

Whilst cleaning my bike yesterday, i came accross a tube tied up with a cable tie.

Its on the back of the crank case at the same hight as the top of rear shock.

Never seen it on any other bikes. Its a brand new bike so, dispite it looking like a quick bodge job, it must of came from the factory like this.

Its too thin to be a breather (i think) but i cant think of any wire harnes that would be secured there.

Anyone any idea what it is?

Can't a breather be small in diameter?

You'll know what it is when you find out where it goes.

Can't a breather be small in diameter?

You'll know what it is when you find out where it goes.

I cant trace it. Its just a loop of tube or cable or something held up with a cable tie,

Both the ends disserpear over the top of the lump.

Going to have to pop the tank off and have a look-see.

It went in for its first service yesterday. Its possible that its something K2 have done but i cant imagine that it is and what they would be doing.

When i get home i`l try and post a pic up

I cant trace it. Its just a loop of tube or cable or something held up with a cable tie,

Both the ends disserpear over the top of the lump.

Going to have to pop the tank off and have a look-see.

It went in for its first service yesterday. Its possible that its something K2 have done but i cant imagine that it is and what they would be doing.

When i get home i`l try and post a pic up

At a guess I would expect it to be a breather for the tank, battery or coolant reservoir. Could it go to any of those places?

At a guess I would expect it to be a breather for the tank, battery or coolant reservoir. Could it go to any of those places?

yeah possibly. although i can see breathers (3 of) in the normal place.

I`m pretty sure the desinger of the R1 didn`t intend for it to clipped up with a crappy old blue cable tie either.

I just looks well out of place on a new bike.

Its the sort of thing you`d see ona ten year old bike thats been owned by a monkey...

guessing here, but it could be the speedo sensor wire, I think that comes off the back of the crankcase

pics, dammit, we need pics!

breather???? dont be ridiculous!!! a bike has an engine, not a set of lungs. could it be float bowl breather/vent, you know, for the carbs?? did you say it was a new r1? yep, definitly carb overflow venting......

....ill get me coat!!! nah, really id hazard a guess at breather for battery,crankcase,fuel tank ect. poss fuel tank actually. is the tank centre mounted on the new r1, under the seat?

Parasitic tube worm,that would have to be sucking at least a couple worth of bhp from the engine,I hear a fix is to rev the engine to redline until it just drops off,problem is they then go into reproduction mode and before you know it you are finding little tubes all over the bike.....Nasty

yeah possibly. although i can see breathers (3 of) in the normal place.

I`m pretty sure the desinger of the R1 didn`t intend for it to clipped up with a crappy old blue cable tie either.

I just looks well out of place on a new bike.

Its the sort of thing you`d see ona ten year old bike thats been owned by a monkey...

PDI'd when they fitted the battery, they connected the supplied breather for the battery and used a naff Cable-Tie to hold it in place. Some PDI's would probably not even bother with the Zip-Tie, so I guess in some way's your lucky?

PDI'd when they fitted the battery, they connected the supplied breather for the battery and used a naff Cable-Tie to hold it in place. Some PDI's would probably not even bother with the Zip-Tie, so I guess in some way's your lucky?

Thanks Bernster.

Here`s a pic anyway

DSCF3020.jpg

Looks electrical to me, from the way it's deformed on top where the pressure from the cable tie pushes it down...

Didn't someone say speedo sensor wire earlier...?

Dave

Take the seats off and have a poke around...the speedo sensor would be on the sprocket cover (as a guess), so it could be something else.

Looks electrical to me, from the way it's deformed on top where the pressure from the cable tie pushes it down...

Didn't someone say speedo sensor wire earlier...?

Dave

yes, I suggested it. on my R1 ('99 vintage) the speedo sensor is on the back of the crankcase, in that general area.

I think it's even over towards the LHS of the bike, which is what made me think this might be the same.

agree Dave, it looks electrical to me, rather than a breather or similar.

I don't know but I'd imagine your battery would be a gel one on an R1, as they're fitted on their side on R1's (I think?). If that's the case then they won't have a breather.

I don't know but I'd imagine your battery would be a gel one on an R1, as they're fitted on their side on R1's (I think?). If that's the case then they won't have a breather.

yep. ya right its a gel one

Think i`m just going to cut off the blue cable tie, put a black `un in its place and ignor it.

Must be there for a reason. Just looks out of place and tatty

• 3 weeks later...

Yep...mine's got one too...beautiful dandy blue...Now I know I'm not alone...

Archived