Magnesium Wheels

DC98

My Marchesini's are in need of a fresh count of paint but I'm not sure what the best way to strip the old paint would be. I had thought about using a normal paint stripper but then was sure if it would damage them.

Do not even think of doing the stripping or painting yourself..

..magnesium needs proper surface treatment before painting and is senseitive to what chemicals it is exposed to. Leave it to the professionals.

A decent powder coater will know what to do with them and if they are genuine aftermarket mag marchesini's get the NDT'd at the same time.

What's NDT then, assume its getting them checked for cracks

What's NDT then, assume its getting them checked for cracks

Non-destructive-testing.

(the better sort - if you want to ever use them again :eusa_whistle: )

Edit: bugger. not fast enough, or even funny enough......

Nice one cheers guys.

Do you think that a car wheel refurber would be able to do them as spit & polish are only down the road from me.

Nope.

Take them to someone who does magnesium wheels. Try Dymag and see if they offer their refurb service (strip, NDT and paint) on wheels other than their own.

I had access to the NDT kit through my day job and used a vapour blasting company for the stripping and then a powder coater who knew about magnesium and the dichromate process for the painting.

Well just spoke to Dymag and they stopped refurbing anyones wheels but there own about a year ago but they did give me a number for a company that can do them called Griff's.

I gave griffs a call and they will do the whole lot (strip,NDT,powercoat) for £95 a wheel. Does this sound about right, it doesn't include new bearing but they shouldn't be that expensive.

Nope.

Take them to someone who does magnesium wheels. Try Dymag and see if they offer their refurb service (strip, NDT and paint) on wheels other than their own.

I had access to the NDT kit through my day job and used a vapour blasting company for the stripping and then a powder coater who knew about magnesium and the dichromate process for the painting.

I have a front dymag wheel and contacted dymag about getting it re-painted. From the little I know, mag wheels require a special process when repainting.

the chap I spoke to at the time was very helpful, although I seem to recall others on here have found Dymag to be less so, on occasion.

anyway, Dymag quoted me a not-unreasonable £92 plus VAT for a respray, which they only offer as part of a wheel refurb, which includes stripping back, testing, undercoat, primer & re-paint, with new bearings etc.

have a look under 'wheel refurbishment' on http://www.dymag.com/ for more info & contact details

alternatively, speak to a Marchesini dealer

I gave griffs a call and they will do the whole lot (strip,NDT,powercoat) for £95 a wheel. Does this sound about right, it doesn't include new bearing but they shouldn't be that expensive.

Griff's do a top job. Nick @ Griffs is well connected with Dymag and has done plenty of mag wheels for them. I think £95 sounds OK, it's a lot of work.

Griff's place is a bitch to find. PM me if you are going there, its only five minutes from my place.

Dymag did a great job on my Marchesini's (although I went through my dealer and not direct).

Turnaround was a little slow (..er then expected), btu I can't complain as the job was first class.

There's no point it trying to save a few quid on expensive and delicate wheels. Most wheel refurbishment places won't even spot the difference and can ruin them with the 'normal' wheel blasting and powdercoating service.

G

Archived