LDU21

johnnymack63

I've been thinking about all the riders every time I've written the date today. Lots of times at the lab and a few times this afternoon. I will donate but I've got a few commitments first then I should be able to do it.

I hope they're all coping and soldiering on.

Well done all.

• Like 3

So how good was all that then? Had an absolute blast, the pitstops all outdone themselves, Pitstop 3 turned out to actually be a proper pitstop where I pulled in for snacks and came out with a new chain all fitted and a lot more confidence in the bike afterwards so big thanks to the lads and ladies there. And just a massive thanks to everyone that made the day what it was, especially Johnny and Jo, it was awesome. Oh, and we seem to have raised nearly £58k for CRUK, unbelievable effort! 

The bike I did it on was a £200 Bros 400 with a mighty 30bhp on a good day from the for sale section on this here website, with a few extra bits thrown in from @Ian_H who I got it from. Considering it previously turned a wheel a decade ago with its last mot running out in 2011, with a bit of fresh petrol, cleaned electrical contacts, a new battery and some bodgery at the ignition it started up pretty much straight away, was well impressed. All it really had after that was new tyres, a cheap headlight and fly screen combo, rebuild of the forks, brakes and headstock and an exhaust mod that won the bike the LDC best modification award, The cow tit milk thing™. Oh and a new radiator which Ian gave me, and ignition switch and a fuel pump.

The headlight turned out to be truly awful, I think due to the fact the lens on it was just a piece of clear plastic and the innards had already started to melt by the time I got to Lands end. Obviously I should have fitted a new chain and the fuel pump nearly had me ringing for help as the bike died just out of Dunoon. Luckily a bit of fault finding followed by fist calibration of said pump and we got going again. The same happened out of Fort William but I knew the procedure by then. Also, my speedo needle snapped, we can thank @hawkati for that😂

The bike being operated on at P3

zDhZZrN.jpg

And just to prove it got there!

YolJKX9.jpg

And who took this fine portrait I wonder? Couldn't have got me looking more angry lol

9va0KNs.jpg

Anyway, enough waffle, thanks again all :)  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Alex_H said:

<snip>

And who took this fine portrait I wonder? Couldn't have got me looking more angry lol

9va0KNs.jpg

Hello 👋 :D

Granted, I was trying to observe the movements of about 30 people all at the same time, but every time I turned to see if you were doing anything worth photographing, you were scowling.

So, that's what ya got, a scowl, at full scowl, you great scowler!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Nicely written up and damn glad a bros did it. They're great little bikes and so so easy to ride relentlessly. My hawk did ldd twice, the first time despite a holed radiator and the tightest of tight links in the chain.

Hope you keep the bike - good fun machines.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, hawkati said:

Hope you keep the bike - good fun machines.

It'll be getting the winter project bike treatment me thinks, less weight, bigger engine, proper suspension, I think its earned it :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alex_H said:

It'll be getting the winter project bike treatment me thinks, less weight, bigger engine, proper suspension, I think its earned it :) 

Ah - can I interest you in a 650 hawk engine? One careful owner,  one 5000rpm cadwell oil change...

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Alex_H said:

So how good was all that then? Had an absolute blast, the pitstops all outdone themselves, Pitstop 3 turned out to actually be a proper pitstop where I pulled in for snacks and came out with a new chain all fitted and a lot more confidence in the bike afterwards so big thanks to the lads and ladies there. And just a massive thanks to everyone that made the day what it was, especially Johnny and Jo, it was awesome. Oh, and we seem to have raised nearly £58k for CRUK, unbelievable effort! 

The bike I did it on was a £200 Bros 400 with a mighty 30bhp on a good day from the for sale section on this here website, with a few extra bits thrown in from @Ian_H who I got it from. Considering it previously turned a wheel a decade ago with its last mot running out in 2011, with a bit of fresh petrol, cleaned electrical contacts, a new battery and some bodgery at the ignition it started up pretty much straight away, was well impressed. All it really had after that was new tyres, a cheap headlight and fly screen combo, rebuild of the forks, brakes and headstock and an exhaust mod that won the bike the LDC best modification award, The cow tit milk thing™. Oh and a new radiator which Ian gave me, and ignition switch and a fuel pump.

The headlight turned out to be truly awful, I think due to the fact the lens on it was just a piece of clear plastic and the innards had already started to melt by the time I got to Lands end. Obviously I should have fitted a new chain and the fuel pump nearly had me ringing for help as the bike died just out of Dunoon. Luckily a bit of fault finding followed by fist calibration of said pump and we got going again. The same happened out of Fort William but I knew the procedure by then. Also, my speedo needle snapped, we can thank @hawkati for that😂

The bike being operated on at P3

zDhZZrN.jpg

And just to prove it got there!

YolJKX9.jpg

9va0KNs.jpg

5 hours ago, heds954 said:

Hello 👋 :D

Granted, I was trying to observe the movements of about 30 people all at the same time, but every time I turned to see if you were doing anything worth photographing, you were scowling.

So, that's what ya got, a scowl, at full scowl, you great scowler!

You don't expect Bane from batman to turn up on a charidee event/ride/day/night/thing do you?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, ssray said:

Cbr600f2 front wheel, bros disc, adjust the caliper with a angle grinder, at least 1kg lighter and a 120/70 front tyre 

Yeah, nah. F2 front wheel, f2 forks, two calipers & 120/70 front. Everyone says one disc is enough until they try two! Worked for me. Other options would be cbr 400 front end. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hawkati said:

Yeah, nah. F2 front wheel, f2 forks, two calipers & 120/70 front. Everyone says one disc is enough until they try two! Worked for me. Other options would be cbr 400 front end. 

I used a 320mm ntv disc

26 minutes ago, ssray said:

I used a 320mm ntv disc

You would, you wonky front ended bastard!😛

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

I don't want to sound petty or churlish, but it's inevitable I suppose. 

There was a chap on BBC breakfast this morning, canoeing, with a helper and assistance (he might have been disabled, I didn't see all of it).

I was surprised that he'd raised £54k and made national news, whereas you bunch of legends have raised more with less/no exposure. I guess it's because of the anti-motorbike thing.

Obviously the important point is that CRUK still benefit from your hard work, and this guy has made an important contribution too. I just wanted to moan I suppose. I still feel bitter that PSPB haven't supported LDU at all.

Hey ho. The world is a cruel place etc.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, blow_away said:

There was a chap on BBC breakfast this morning, canoeing, with a helper and assistance (he might have been disabled, I didn't see all of it).

I was surprised that he'd raised £54k and made national news, whereas you bunch of legends have raised more with less/no exposure. I guess it's because of the anti-motorbike thing.

Obviously the important point is that CRUK still benefit from your hard work, and this guy has made an important contribution too. I just wanted to moan I suppose. I still feel bitter that PSPB haven't supported LDU at all.

....ldu was apparently broadcast on the BBC local news in all regions - bit of bike footage and a couple of sad cancer tales. I've no clue how much response there was directly from that but right now the total stands at approx £72k. Bloody fantastic.

Lending a little context there was that old bloke who plodded around a garden a bit and raised millions. Didn't even run, the slacker!🤪

...I've also no clue how on earth the police haven't cottoned on and nicked the whole lot of us five miles down the road because it's the cannonball run in actuality. 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, blow_away said:

Purely down to connections and marketing ability.

A disabled canoeist just before the Olympics.

2 minutes ago, hawkati said:

!

...I've also no clue how on earth the police haven't cottoned on and nicked the whole lot of us five miles down the road because it's the cannonball run in actuality. 

Phukkin shoosh you! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Publicity Its a double edged sword isn't it.

Some of this year's riders got some pretty high profile publicity Am sure it had a positive effect on the fund raising.

Have thought that next year seeking publicity from regional news organisations amongst groups of localised riders would be good but am very wary of flagging the event to much.

As a rider its good to be as far below the radar as possible. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, EXUPDEL said:

Some of this year's riders got some pretty high profile publicity Am sure it had a positive effect on the fund raising.

Have thought that next year seeking publicity from regional news organisations amongst groups of localised riders would be good but am very wary of flagging the event to much.

22 minutes ago, EXUPDEL said:

I mentioned it one year to his Henry coalness and his contact was going to raise it at a meeting but probably too hard a challenge for him and Sam to take on. 

14 hours ago, hawkati said:

Thanks for reminding me about the 3 points & £100 fine the Scottish police awarded me!

• Sad 3

59 minutes ago, Sideshow Pob said:

Thanks for reminding me about the 3 points & £100 fine the Scottish police awarded me!

Awwww.....sorry for reminding you. Didn't someone else pull over but then ride off again?

Be moar stealthy:ph34r:

• Like 1

Just now, jaycee said:

Could have been worse you said

Yeah, it could definitely been a lot worse but still wrote the cheque out through gritted teeth ;)

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, hawkati said:

Probably due to the fact maste people arnie a dunderhead that advertises the fact 🙄.

Ahh, wot @jaycee says

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cuban pete said:

I have no clue how I haven't picked up a fine or three for the 21st June considering how many leptons the bike did in places.

@Thunderbolt

Did they get you in the end? 

No I have heard nothing so far.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I've had a little root about in here but can't find a link, does anybody know the link to either a general 'donate here' page or to @hawkati's fund raiser section, as I'm betrothed to a donation after the charming Mr @David W has sent a bike cassette over for me (copy of tour de france by kraftwerk on a TDK C60, he's even used the stickers inside that says 'master').

1 minute ago, lorenzo said:

I've had a little root about in here but can't find a link, does anybody know the link to either a general 'donate here' page or to @hawkati's fund raiser section, as I'm betrothed to a donation after the charming Mr @David W has sent a bike cassette over for me (copy of tour de france by kraftwerk on a TDK C60, he's even used the stickers inside that says 'master').

clicky!

clicky2!

Just now, lorenzo said:

James, you've got some money.

Not you yourself James, obviusly, your fundraising pot has some. I wouldn't trust you with actual money.

• Haha 1