Because fukkit.

hawkati

1 hour ago, hawkati said:

I'll do a proper write up about the ride bit here's the comfy chair getting to know the other wrecks....

...and their bikes

20210620_141718

Are they allowed out before nightfall? Someone best phone the nearest B-Wing and get them to check for escape tunnels...

Edit: Context, colour, size and shapes.

1 hour ago, Basil said:

Are they allowed out before nightfall? Someone best phone the nearest B-Wing and get them to check for escape tunnels...

Edit: Context, colour, size and shapes.

I'm sorry - I'll have to take your first answer.

2 hours ago, hawkati said:

I'll do a proper write up about the ride bit here's the comfy chair getting to know the other wrecks....

...and their bikes

20210620_141718

Any reason why you had to park the opposite way to everyone.. Showing off you have an arm chair isn't very nice now is it 😉

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, firebeast said:

Any reason why you had to park the opposite way to everyone.. Showing off you have an arm chair isn't very nice now is it 😉

Originally there was no space to park at all so I slung it in front of the other bikes...then johnnymac wanted to bring the van up to the bikes. A car drove off so I swiftly reversed my bike into the space.

See, not rude at all, or even speshull,  just considerate!😂😂😂

...if you think that bike is an armchair,  you should see the BMW, but there's mitigating circumstances for that as well...🤪

9 minutes ago, hawkati said:

Originally there was no space to park at all so I slung it in front of the other bikes...then johnnymac wanted to bring the van up to the bikes. A car drove off so I swiftly reversed my bike into the space.

...if you think that bike is an armchair,  you should see the BMW, but there's mitigating circumstances for that as well...🤪

Tbh, if there is a dull ville there, rather than an ntv that I can see in the background, that would be my choice of weapon for comfort and mpg etc..  So long as it has heated grips🤣🤣

Will ping a few more pennies over a bit later , assuming there is a slot machine somewhere online 😉👍

• Thanks 1

On 6/20/2021 at 8:40 PM, hawkati said:

The guy on the cx500 custom looked shifty.. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Gix said:

Dude, you have less than a week to get the Frankenbeast ready for Cadders

Ah - no idea if it will be ready, but I have a cunning plan. This involves @Sideshow Poband his dyno since they're near Cadwell...

• Like 1

So after a morning of visiting mum I decided to try sort out the stable. Then some pod filters arrived so I ripped the surrogate airbox off and slung them on. 

Still flatter than a witch's tit but at least the engine would pull through till 6k then no further regardless of which gear. 

A realistic 90mph though. Progress. Onwards to @Sideshow Pobthis     week to do some real damage.

Edited by hawkati
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Basil said:

Bangin' :thumbsup:

Yeah, that. Quite the popping on the overrun...

Got a bit carried away today sorting moar bits out. Shamefully I resorted to some white cable ties...

20210626_183134

• Like 6

6 hours ago, hawkati said:

So after a morning of visiting mum I decided to try sort out the stable. Then some pod filters arrived so I ripped the surrogate airbox off and slung them on. 

Still flatter than a witch's tit but at least the engine would pull through till 6k then no further regardless of which gear. 

A realistic 90mph though. Progress. Onwards to @Sideshow Pobthis     week to do some real damage.

Bigger main jets.

Have you got 900 or 600 or 400 carbs?

6 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

Bigger main jets.

That's a lot of carbs - traditionally it's one per cylinder so probably go with 4?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Thunderbolt said:

Bigger main jets.

900 carbs. It's long forgotten witchcraft for me but I'm good for setting it up. Mind you, the eye opener will be slinging it on the dyno. I expect ragged as fuck as is, but what power? Place yer bets ladles & jellyspoons...

8 hours ago, hawkati said:

900 carbs. It's long forgotten witchcraft for me but I'm good for setting it up. Mind you, the eye opener will be slinging it on the dyno. I expect ragged as fuck as is, but what power? Place yer bets ladles & jellyspoons...

If it runs, but runs out of revs, it sounds by your description that it is being throttled back by the carbs. They aren’t getting enough flow. Smaller carbs will not have the choke size, hence my asking.

Can you do a plug chop?

It will be interesting to see the dynojet runs.

Just now, Thunderbolt said:

If it runs, but runs out of revs, it sounds by your description that it is being throttled back by the carbs. They aren’t getting enough flow. Smaller carbs will not have the choke size, hence my asking.

Can you do a plug chop?

It will be interesting to see the dynojet runs.

I'll happily bung a pic up of the dyno chart. Right now it's like it hits a brick wall at 6k - such an abrupt stop that it feels electrical or mechanical. Previously there was such cable slack that I'd wondered if I'd run out of twist but that's mostly dialled out now. 

Anyway, I'll have a clearer idea on Thursday so I'll focus on getting the left hand controls & lights wired correctly for now....

2 minutes ago, hawkati said:

I'll happily bung a pic up of the dyno chart. Right now it's like it hits a brick wall at 6k - such an abrupt stop that it feels electrical or mechanical. Previously there was such cable slack that I'd wondered if I'd run out of twist but that's mostly dialled out now. 

Anyway, I'll have a clearer idea on Thursday so I'll focus on getting the left hand controls & lights wired correctly for now....

Don’t need a pic, need to look at flow rates and AFR.

When are you taking it to the dyno?

From your description it sounds like it is ‘choked’. That is that the carbs aren’t flowing enough for the engine.

Carbs need fuel and air.

Which is why I wondered if they were 400 carbs.

Are they CV’s?

Are the slides lifting all the way?

Is there still clean air getting to them?

With 900 carbs and the slides lifting all the way, then it’s down to fuel flow.

I think you have done a gravity fed remote tank before?

So I am leaning* towards main jet size.

Can you do a gravity fed fuel, tank off, carbs clear test and see if the slides lift all the way, bike on stand, stationary, no load?

They're standard cv's - slides lift all the way, throttle opens all the way too. Definitely not clean air, though with pids it works far better now than with the dodgy airbox I built. I chatted with @Sideshow Pobduring the ride up and I'm gunning to drop in on July 1st & do a dyno run. I'll phone to confirm tomorrow. No point in fooling with jets until I get that verdict...

8 minutes ago, hawkati said:

They're standard cv's - slides lift all the way, throttle opens all the way too. Definitely not clean air, though with pids it works far better now than with the dodgy airbox I built. I chatted with @Sideshow Pobduring the ride up and I'm gunning to drop in on July 1st & do a dyno run. I'll phone to confirm tomorrow. No point in fooling with jets until I get that verdict...

Do the slides lift all the way when you try full throttle? Can you see that on static test?

10 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

Do the slides lift all the way when you try full throttle? Can you see that on static test?

Yup - I'll bung up a vid next time I take the tank off...

1 hour ago, Sideshow Pob said:

We can run it on the dyno with a remote fuel feed too.

Cheers! 

Fret ye notte, y'all- I'm on the case.

Carb tickling, setting the heights, fettling...yes, it's lawnmower time! Gotta get this done before motogp!

20210627_114922

9 hours ago, Thunderbolt said:

Firstly I am defo no expert,, but have a reasonable knowhow on the matter as I own the same bike and similar motor attached... I personally think without some sort of reasonable airbox, which so far James hasn't had, its been run so far almost without any controlled flow and likely very lean from the sounds of it, due to the massive amount of air available which is what I guess your thinking? .. Those carbs aren't designed for pods as stock,without the proper adjustments and it will eat fuel,, so yes they are way off and it's needle /main jet where it will show it up as you are saying.  👍Q

I am sending him my old modded 400 original airbox, after finally finding it,, from my garaged 4/9, to try out,tomorrow, if I can find some fukin bolts.. 🤬,, now I have finally replaced the old foam element with new stuff,, as although it's not a perfect match, due to the triarm engine running other bits in there, like the separate rad cap and pipe , so it's not shall we say massive,, it's good enough..Back in the about 97/98, mine, before I owned it, with an arrow system and dj kit was set up by Bob Farnham with 124bhp. Using the modded airbox.. So it's not a case of needing the 900 box to work properly.. I have altered a gullarm airbox to fit the narrower f3 carbs for my mates 600 motor and it worked lovely, after the carbs were set up properly..   For road use in my limited experience modding airbox's, its not critical to have the original design, just something that can feed the carbs enough with some control on the flow, after the filter.. 

Hopefully sideshow may not need to make too much in the way of jetting changes, though the short race cans don't help in my limited experience,,  I have seen iffy results on zx9's running those shitty gp length cans,, I helped sort out the jetting, after an 'expert' dyno place at Bude fitted a dj kit via the instructions to the fucking letter and sent him on his way.. When changed to a decent length race can improved it a touch, then me and a mate made some carb adjustments which also helped pick up and smoothed it right out, so I am actually hoping the carbs go from shite to actually pretty good just by using the airbox,, 🤞

if not then either the carbs have past 'issues' and or been badly set up beforehand..  The only thing i am yet to know from James is if the carbs have the sub air filter attached? 

• Like 1

I'm gonna sling up a place yer bets in general for the dyno runs today....😱

4 hours ago, blow_away said:

and...?

On 7/1/2021 at 10:39 PM, hawkati said:

I shall put y'all out of your speculative misery.

71bhp.

Two main issues - obviously the airbox. @firebeasthas very kindly thrown a custom airbox at me to borrow and once coils are relocated that may well fit a treat.

The other issue was one/two cylinders having a leccy issue. @Sideshow Pob 's revs reader got only about 6k intermittently from cylinder 2, yet 10k from cylinder 1. I've a set of spare coils so I'll bung those on and see what happens. 

Meanwhile I'm at cadwell and I'll give it a trial run in the first session which is effectively sighting laps. Yeehaa!

right - that was very enlightening. I'd intended to literally only do two sighting laps on the bike since it's the grim equivilant of "this is the deep end, by the way can you swwim?" Sploooosh. 

Stayed out on track. Three sessions. Lots of minor issues and a couple of major ones. 

Good stuff.

1) it handles pretty well - i'd read & reread loads about engine placement and the front sprocket is more or less spot on with the cylinder heads dipped a slight amount compared to a standard blade. Steers neutrally but tightens the line slightly as the throttle gets wound on. Just what i wanted. I can take my hands off the bars at 90 and it doesn't veer or tankslap. Goody

2) nothing touches down - rearsets and reasonably tucked in zorst = lean. Got it to the edge of rear tyre so i are happy.

3) nothing fell off. Well, almost nothing. More of that in a bit

4) despite no airbox the bike dragged itself through a fluffy midrange and revved quite well. Pulls damn hard up to 4.5k

Less than good stuff

1) throttle cable slack - despite wound out there's still a fair amount of movement of throttle control before the carbs open. Probably need a custom cable. 

2) annoying gear lever - too high. If i lower it then it snags the link rod and doesn't work so every upochange is an exaggerated movement. Meh. I'll find a way of tucking it in neater. 

3) brakes - straight off my hawk commuter that probably weighs 50lbs less. Just not good enough, they work but a real handful is needed. Suffice to say the first time i went out on the 996 i near went over the bars the first time i braked. 

4) comedy and alarming in equal measure, on session two after a few laps the throttle stuck wide open going into charlies. Awesome and eeeeeek! Pottered round with the front brake on then got off asap. I'd wedged a sponge pad covered in insulation tape under the tank then tied it down with a huge cable tie - nope, it shifted, got into an open carb and wedged itself there. Narsty. 

5) the obvious fuelling issue. Thanks to @firebeast i now have a decent airbox that (once ignition coils are relocated or replaced by stick coils, should fit in a snug way. Fingers crossed thos things and another dyno session or two will tweak it in the right direction. 

It's getting there - i thoroughly enjoyed riding it, and now there's no time pressure then i hope to get it fine tuned (literally) so it becomes a well behaved trackbike. The potential is great and i'm thoroughly enjoying using it. 

20210702_084859

Edited by hawkati
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, hawkati said:

right - that was very enlightening. I'd intended to literally only do two sighting laps on the bike since it's the grim equivilant of "this is the deep end, by the way can you swwim?" Sploooosh. 

Stayed out on track. Three sessions. Lots of minor issues and a couple of major ones. 

Good stuff.

1) it handles pretty well - i'd read & reread loads about engine placement and the front sprocket is more or less spot on with the cylinder heads dipped a slight amount compared to a standard blade. Steers neutrally but tightens the line slightly as the throttle gets wound on. Just what i wanted. I can take my hands off the bars at 90 and it doesn't veer or tankslap. Goody

2) nothing touches down - rearsets and reasonably tucked in zorst = lean. Got it to the edge of rear tyre so i are happy.

3) nothing fell off. Well, almost nothing. More of that in a bit

4) despite no airbox the bike dragged itself through a fluffy midrange and revved quite well. Pulls damn hard up to 4.5k

Less than good stuff

1) throttle cable slack - despite wound out there's still a fair amount of movement of throttle control before the carbs open. Probably need a custom cable. 

2) annoying gear lever - too high. If i lower it then it snags the link rod and doesn't work so every upochange is an exaggerated movement. Meh. I'll find a way of tucking it in neater. 

3) brakes - straight off my hawk commuter that probably weighs 50lbs less. Just not good enough, they work but a real handful is needed. Suffice to say the first time i went out on the 996 i near went over the bars the first time i braked. 

4) comedy and alarming in equal measure, on session two after a few laps the throttle stuck wide open going into charlies. Awesome and eeeeeek! Pottered round with the front brake on then got off asap. I'd wedged a sponge pad covered in insulation tape under the tank then tied it down with a huge cable tie - nope, it shifted, got into an open carb and wedged itself there. Narsty. 

5) the obvious fuelling issue. Thanks to @firebeast i now have a decent airbox that (once ignition coils are relocated or replaced by stick coils, should fit in a snug way. Fingers crossed thos things and another dyno session or two will tweak it in the right direction. 

It's getting there - i thoroughly enjoyed riding it, and now there's no time pressure then i hope to get it fine tuned (literally) so it becomes a well behaved trackbike. The potential is great and i'm thoroughly enjoying using it. 

20210702_084859

It’s doing a nice job of hiding the cbx thou behind it

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3