Because fukkit.

hawkati

1 hour ago, Thunderbolt said:

Can you please check the pink wire in the cdi’s voltage to the negative on the battery?

Will do. Ditto output from pulse generator...wibble!

On 6/8/2021 at 12:02 AM, hawkati said:

Looking like it's pulse generator or module fukkered....jaysas!

Can' really see the ignition pickup failing!

Can you go into more details what issues you are having ?

I've got a feeling there are two inputs on the ECU which will stop the bike firing all linked to run/stop, clutch switch and side stand switch.

You never PM'ed me your address hence I never sent you the A3 wiring diagram I have here!

I'll see if I can take a photo of it....

8 minutes ago, dannn said:

I've got a feeling there are two inputs on the ECU which will stop the bike firing all linked to run/stop, clutch switch and side stand switch.

You never PM'ed me your address hence I never sent you the A3 wiring diagram I have here!

I'm absolutely certain it's the cdi that's dead. Pulse geerator looks fine, 12v to coils but that's not a great thing really due to earth issue. Clutch/sidestand/neutral all good.

I'll pm you now!

18 minutes ago, dannn said:

He has an aftermarket cdi, cmon scullion.

1 minute ago, hawkati said:

I'm absolutely certain it's the cdi that's dead. Pulse geerator looks fine, 12v to coils but that's not a great thing really due to earth issue. Clutch/sidestand/neutral all good.

I'll pm you now!

Unless you have smoked the CDI with some dodgy wiring those thing don't really fail.

Can you confirm you have the follow wires going to the CDI:

BLUE - GREEN STRIPE

RED - YELLOW STRIPE

YELLOW - RED STRIPE

GREEN

BLACK - WHITE STRIPE

YELLOW - BLUE STRIPE

BLUE - YELLOW STRIPE

LIGHT GREEN

YELLOW  - GREEN STRIPE

YELLOW

WHITE - YELLOW STRIPE

GREEN - WHITE STRIPE

8 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

Did  not know that - he never does things the easy way!lol

I'm guessing its not a nice programmable Ignitech.....

5 minutes ago, dannn said:

Unless you have smoked the CDI with some dodgy wiring those thing don't really fail.

Can you confirm you have the follow wires going to the CDI:

BLUE - GREEN STRIPE

RED - YELLOW STRIPE

YELLOW - RED STRIPE

GREEN

BLACK - WHITE STRIPE

YELLOW - BLUE STRIPE

BLUE - YELLOW STRIPE

LIGHT GREEN

YELLOW  - GREEN STRIPE

YELLOW

WHITE - YELLOW STRIPE

GREEN - WHITE STRIPE

i can when i escape work - stuck here till 7.30 dagnammit!

12 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

shouldn't be - standard cdi, aftermarket ( betterer) regulator.

2 minutes ago, dannn said:

Did  not know that - he never does things the easy way!lol

I'm guessing its not a nice programmable Ignitech.....

that would definitely be the way to go once this event is over and it becomes a trackbike...

6 minutes ago, hawkati said:

shouldn't be - standard cdi, aftermarket ( betterer) regulator.

Sorry I am getting confused, I thought you said it was aftermarket.

no worries at all - i'm more than capable of confusing myself about such things!

BLUE - GREEN STRIPE -> TPS

RED - YELLOW STRIPE -> TPS

YELLOW - RED STRIPE -> TPS

GREEN -> GROUND / NEGATIVE

BLACK - WHITE STRIPE -> 12V -> Cunty run / stop -> which in the loom gives power to the CDI, coils and starter button which when pressed gives power to the starter solenoid

YELLOW - BLUE STRIPE -> Ignition Coil bank for 2 plugs

BLUE - YELLOW STRIPE -> Ignition Coil bank for 2 plugs 

LIGHT GREEN -> GROUND / NEGATIVE see edit below! -> Cunty Neutral Switch linked to one side of clutch diode and neutral bulb. Basically the Neutral Switch gives a ground/negative to the CDI + starter solenoid allowing starter to work. However, this can be overridden by the clutch switch connected to the other side of clutch diode which also goes through the side stand switch to get the ground/negative . Once the engine is  started  I don't think this ground/negative is required. Mine is connected permanently without issue.

YELLOW  - GREEN STRIPE -> TACHO (note: after market CDI's like Ignitech have issues with the standard Honda rev counter!)

YELLOW -> Ignition Pickup

WHITE - YELLOW STRIPE -> Ignition Pickup

GREEN - WHITE STRIPE -> GROUND / NEGATIVE -> cunty side stand switch.

----------------------

I did this back in 2019 so my memory may have this wrong.....but I'm pretty sure the two wires highlight in RED need to be grounded to avoid all the bullshit around clutch/side stand/neutral switches. If they are not grounded then the ECU will not let the engine start even if you jerry rig or hook up starter solenoid directly (which is what I did!) to turn the engine over. Do note the ECU will work with TPS disconnected but don't ride it like that as the ignition curve won't advance as you open the throttle losing you a load of power!

Edit - I've been looking back at the wiring diagram and I would be tempted to leave LIGHT GREEN floating and connected to nothing. This is because there is a (but I would say very unlikely!) chance the CDI will limit ignition timing and/or rpm if it thinks the engine is in neutral! I keep forgetting my bike does run with the standard CDI but that's only as a backup as since day one I've been using an Ignitech CDI via a converter lead which of course has all the cunty safety stuff switched off.

Edited by dannn
  • Like 2

@hawkati - I've finished editing the post above now....that should give you all the info you need to jerry rig the ECU so it will be ready to fire. You can use a thick cable or jumper cable directly to starter motor and positive on the battery to turn it over and start it if your starter button is playing up.

• Thanks 1

Thank you very much, especially for deploying the word Cunty several times.

I'm certain the cdi is actually fried but should have another to bung on tomorrow after work. Cheers once again!

29 minutes ago, hawkati said:

Thank you very much, especially for deploying the word Cunty several times.

I'm certain the cdi is actually fried but should have another to bung on tomorrow after work. Cheers once again!

If its fried then don't do the classic...plug another one in and fry that one....!

You need to check every single pin on the CDI connector with a multimeter.  Continuity test them all against 12v battery terminal (battery disconnected!), ground and then back through the loom for the coil and tps wires.

My Honda loom was fucked and had been repaired many times due to the rectifier wires over heating (because of the shite Honda rectifier) and melting all the other wires around it so don't trust any old Honda looms! 

Edited by dannn

26 minutes ago, dannn said:

If its fried then don't do the classic...plug another one in and fry that one....!

This.
James, good luck we're all counting on you.

1 hour ago, Tony B said:

This.
James, good luck we're all counting on you.

Thank you - I'm still gunning to get this going, and if it's not sorted & legal in time it'll be seen at trackdays anyway.

Meanwhile I've been offered an alternative- a thing that's not broken and won't break me so I'm doing this regardless...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, hawkati said:

Thank you - I'm still gunning to get this going, and if it's not sorted & legal in time it'll be seen at trackdays anyway.

Meanwhile I've been offered an alternative- a thing that's not broken and won't break me so I'm doing this regardless...

I'm sure you will get it going....just done another edit to the above regarding the light green wire.

1 hour ago, dannn said:

I'm sure you will get it going....just done another edit to the above regarding the light green wire.

Out of likes but many thanks.

@hawkati - you should find A3 scanned copies of the colour block and standard wiring diagrams in your email inbox.

However, the info above should be enough to get the CDI working. I pretty sure that the green/white stripe wire needs to be grounded else the CDI won't fire the coils. I'm also pretty sure the light green wire should be left floating and connected to nothing but to start the engine it won't matter if its been grounded.

Just don't plug that new CDI in without checking everything first.

Edited by dannn

7 minutes ago, dannn said:

@hawkati - you should find A3 scanned copies of the colour block and standard wiring diagrams in your email inbox.

However, the info above should be enough to get the CDI working. I pretty sure that the green/white stripe wire needs to be grounded else the CDI won't fire the coils. I'm also pretty sure the light green wire should be left floating and connected to nothing but to start the engine it won't matter if its been grounded.

Just don't plug that new CDI in without checking everything first.

That's great info and genuinely appreciated. Nope, with the cost of those bloody things i'll be checking everything twice before i plug another cdi in! Offski to get a back up bike tomorrow just in case but still gunning to get this done in time because it should be a great little bike once finished. Cheers!

20210604_215742

From memory I think

One connection is a permanent 12v live via run stop switch.

The other is the trigger directly from CDI.

The metal body of the coil needs to be connected to ground / negative.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, dannn said:

20210604_215742

From memory I think

One connection is a permanent 12v live via run stop switch.

The other is the trigger directly from CDI.

The metal body of the coil needs to be connected to ground / negative.

I'll be at it again tomorrow evening,  then I've got all Monday,  Tuesday and Wed/Thurs eve to get the bastard road legal.

• Like 3

Fingers etc crossed you fire the bugger up james, assume you made a modded airbox, so what did you end up with, or were you exceptionally lucky and the 900 box fits (which I struggle to believe could fit, without thor working the underneath of your tank😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, firebeast said:

Fingers etc crossed you fire the bugger up james, assume you made a modded airbox, so what did you end up with, or were you exceptionally lucky and the 900 box fits (which I struggle to believe could fit, without thor working the underneath of your tank😉

Honestly,  I'd not got that far. The desperate race against time continues- no way will the 900 box fit but the lower will, minus the front horns and cutaway slightly at a diagonal either side. Standard filter in, lowered top and tank raised 7mm with screen edging strip might just do it.

You can tell it's going to take a fucking miracle for it to be a finished road legal bike by the arvy of the 18th when I set off. If it doesn't make it the next deadline is July 2nd at cadwell. 

19 minutes ago, hawkati said:

Honestly,  I'd not got that far. The desperate race against time continues- no way will the 900 box fit but the lower will, minus the front horns and cutaway slightly at a diagonal either side. Standard filter in, lowered top and tank raised 7mm with screen edging strip might just do it.

You can tell it's going to take a fucking miracle for it to be a finished road legal bike by the arvy of the 18th when I set off. If it doesn't make it the next deadline is July 2nd at cadwell. 

If you find it's a fucking ballache to sort it, the modded 400 box can be winged up if you want an easy fit on one part of this bike, just for a change ok..👍 I never noticed any issues, back in the midst of time, lol and that was with dj kitted carbs set up by Bob Farnham, before I bought it.. Though i guess maybe the raised tank will be better for lying down on for sections of the ldu? 

• Like 1

On 6/9/2021 at 4:45 PM, Thunderbolt said:

Everytime you call him Scullion I see Scallion!

James the Spring Onion does have a kind of ring to it 🤣

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, hawkati said:

If it don't get to see it on the LDC, then I will be at Cadders on the 2nd..hoping you make that, mucka

• Thanks 1