Meausring tools for the amateur engine assembler

John21

On 12/4/2020 at 9:46 PM, chance said:

A pvp252 tandem twin 2 stroke out of a superkart. I build the karts and help run them at meetings 

VMQA06GFR1YOQGTAH7UE

Poor Photoshop attempt that, it's not even on the track!

What?

5 hours ago, porter_jamie said:

Honestly. thats dogshite. setting of a micrometer is very difficult btw, not impossible but taking wrong measurements is worse than taking none. you wouldnt trust a dti that was 40 quid let alone a whole waggle stick set.

I think, as you've mentioned, you set it with a setting ring and then regularly cross check with it, even this sort of bore gauge can be very accurate.

• Like 1

yes thats much better obviously. if you can't get exactly the same reading every single time in the setting thing, then you are wasting your time. 

• Like 1

I reset all my mics after they have been calibrated. I do not use the ratchets or friction thimbles on them and have a different "feel" than the insoector that sets them. Complete waste of time having them calibrated really.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/11/2020 at 6:09 PM, gixerboy1 said:

I reset all my mics after they have been calibrated. I do not use the ratchets or friction thimbles on them and have a different "feel" than the insoector that sets them. Complete waste of time having them calibrated really.

Yeah I agree with this. Little finger through the anvil. Thumb and forefinger on the thimble. Other hand holding the job and the lightest of touches so you can feel the difference between measuring and clamping. For those people that don't have this feel a mic is nothing more than a graduated adjustable spanner.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/11/2020 at 6:09 PM, gixerboy1 said:

On 12/19/2020 at 2:41 PM, EXUPDEL said:

Yeah I agree with this. Little finger through the anvil. Thumb and forefinger on the thimble. Other hand holding the job and the lightest of touches so you can feel the difference between measuring and clamping. For those people that don't have this feel a mic is nothing more than a graduated adjustable spanner.

Problem with this approach is when you have an inspection department that do use the thimbles, as ours does. Then your parts don't get through. 

18 minutes ago, Swarf said:

Problem with this approach is when you have an inspection department that do use the thimbles, as ours does. Then your parts don't get through. 

Only if they use your mics to inspect. Surely they have thier own?

1 minute ago, EXUPDEL said:

Only if they use your mics to inspect. Surely they have thier own?

Yes, but theirs are calibrated using thimbles so we have ours done the same, saves any argument come inspection.